Need Help: System wont detect my GPU on PCie slot

Sep 16, 2018
So basically this happens almost every time I reformat my rig, it won't automatically detect my GPU on PCIe slot and I just wait a couple of days for it to do so but now I just want to know a real fix for this problem.

The GPU's fans are running. The system detected the GPU couple of hours after the fresh reformat of the system, I had already installed the up to date drivers prior to the system detecting the GPU because my set-up has on-board graphics. After a few hours my display froze and when i rebooted the desktop it opted back to the on-board graphics.

Things i've tried:

1.I've tried disabling the on-board graphics through the bios, when I do this and boot the set-up I get that post beeping noise indicating error in display. So I have to reset my CMOS to restore the default bios again.

2.I've tried pushing down firmly the GPU to confirm if it really is connected properly to the PCIe slot, but since the fans are running I'm pretty sure they are. Plus i've removed and inserted it back a couple of times already.

3.I've tried the DDU program a couple of times already, in past cases this has worked for me but it usually takes a couple of days of back and forth of uninstalling and installing drivers.

My Specs:

CPU: AMD A6- 3500 APU (onboard graphics Radeon HD 6530D)

Mobo: GA-A75M-UD2H (bios are up to date)

GPU: R7 250 DDR3 2gb

Memory: 2x4gb (1600mhz)

PSU: 550w (I forgot the brand but its not generic)

Display: AOC 19" VGA

Sep 16, 2018

It does this every reformat I do. It usually doesn't reoccur after recognizing my GPU for a week straight. Only happens again (besides post reformat) when I stress the GPU with a game but not most of the time.
*Side note*
I inserted the GPU since I bought it on the X4 slot, which was 2 years ago. Only now did I realize I should have been putting it on the x16 slot which I did now. But this was not the reason why I did the reformat. Post reformat I did not switch the GPU to x16 yet, I did it on the next day.

Sep 16, 2018

It does nothing. Just a black screen. Or do I have to do a reboot or something after plugging it in to the discrete output?
The frozen screen occurred when the output I was using was the discrete graphics card, sorry if it was not clear, and then on the reboot it initially used the on-board graphics instead of the discrete gpu.

Wolfshadw

Titan

The system should be shut off. Connect the display to your graphics card output and then power up your system. You should see the Power On Self Test (POST) as well as the Windows login screen.

-Wolf sends

Sep 16, 2018

I did as you instructed but it still booted using the on-board graphics. I'm using VGA btw, just to be specific.
Post beep my screen was blank on the discrete card. I waited for a couple of minutes after this I then switched it to the on-board output without rebooting and my desktop had already fully booted.

Wolfshadw

Titan
When your display is connected to a motherboard output, it cannot use the discrete graphics card.
When your display is connected to a discrete graphics card output, it cannot use the integrated (on-board) graphics.
As long as the graphics card is installed, the display should be connected to it, always.

If you've connected your display a discrete graphics card output and you're not getting a display, then there is an issue with the motherboard not detecting the graphics card or the graphics card is failing.

-Wolf sends

Given the issues you are having, it sounds like a hardware problem. Given the freezes, post issues, ect. even after it's "working" from being in for a week, I would look elsewhere for causes. Possibly a bad power supply, a fan/temp issue with the card as you mention it still freezes under stress on occasion even when it is properly recognized. The GPU itself could have an intermittent issue. Since formatting the OS doesn't fix the issue, and you can't POST with the card much of the time, it's not going to be a software issue.

Sep 16, 2018

Okay, I understand that one should only work and that the other should not with priority to the settings on my bios.
So basically what you are pointing out is that this is a hardware issue and I have been speculating that for a while. I'm not really experienced with regards to building or repair so I would just like some help with detecting the component with the issue if you can.
The fan on my discrete card is on, so will it still mean something would be wrong with my card?
Or is it the motherboard? I can give specifics you need to help me with this.

Sep 16, 2018

Yes I have been speculating a hardware problem as well, but I do not have the tools nor the knowledge to detect the component with the problem. I hope this thread would help me out.

To be specific after a week that the GPU would be recognized it doesnt cause much problems. On what I said regarding me stressing my GPU with games it would be on ones that state my set-up is only at the minimum requirement to run the game. Plus the GPU was plugged into the x4 PCIe slot during those times, since if I had put it into the x16 slot it would have been more efficient, if I am correct.

Currently my GPU's fan is working, and would you happen to know if even though this is the case could it still be a faulty GPU? or a faulty PCIe slot? or if it is a PSU problem would there be any indication that it is? like fluctuations or etc. , any help will do as I am on a budget.
And I am happy to learn a thing or two regards to troubleshooting

Being in the correct x16 slot, have you tried recording or monitoring temps in-game? I use a program such as GPU-Z and record settings to a logfile from with that software. You could see where the temps under gaming load are actually getting to, along with corresponding fan speeds. A faulty PSU can cause freezes, unexpected shutdowns, as well as boot issues. I would try one thing at a time for now. Have you cleaned the fans and cooing setup in your PC recently? If not, it would be a good place to start, as well as checking all your cable connections. We could also check system ram if needed.

Sep 16, 2018

I haven't because this would be the first time it is on the x16 slot.

With regards to the PSU, I havent had any of those issues. ANnd yes every reformat I do I always clean the rig before anything else. How would we go about checking the system ram?

I have read in a thread here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2256433/bios-detecting-gpu.html that he had almost the same problem as me. TL;DR : he bent the mounting backplate for the GPU to connect properly. In any case I may try this later.

OK. For system RAM, I typically use a bootable USB of Memtest86. Typically 1 or 2 passes would catch most memory related issues if they are present. It's not a guarantee, but a good way to test. You could try checking the bracket as you pointed out as well.

Sep 16, 2018

Oh i've tried that test with prime95 and ran it for 4 hours no errors. But ill try your suggestion as well. Will get back to this thread when I can. Thank you very much for your time and patience.