[SOLVED] need help to choose a psu for my rig

Sep 26, 2020
hi everyone,
I bought a small rig lately since I have finished my studies which is :
cpu: i3-9100f
mobo: Asus H310m-k R2.0
ram:8gb 2666mhz
GTX 1650 windforce oc (which requires a 6pin pin)

Since it's been more than two years that I haven't bought or set up a rig I'm a bit confused about which psu should i pick up and since the choice in my country is very limited I'm hesitating which one to take from this list?

1-CORSAIR CV550W 80+ BRONZE
2-THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER NON MODULAR 450W
3-THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER NO MODULAR 550W
3-COOLER MASTER ELITE V3 400W/500W

Thank you for your help

Solution
so is it ok if i go with the cv550? for a year of use until i finde a seasonic unit ?

If that's your only choice... it'll be fine. I don't see your system pulling more than 150-200W at full load.

Just to inform you, the Seasonic S12II and M12II are pretty low quality aswell... group regulated units like the CV550.

If you wanna go with Seasonic in the future I'd be looking at the Focus GX/GM models.
The only one that it's remotely decent is the CV550, although it's not great. Considering your build it should be fine though.

Actually is the CV650 available there? it has a different topology compared to the CV550 as it has DC-DC for the +3.3V and +5V... the CV550 is group regulated. I'd much rather get the 650 model instead if that's available.

With the above said the CX(2017 grey label series) with the CX550 and CX650 would be a much better choice than the CV series... if that's available to you of course.

EDIT: Updated the post with more info.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020
The only one that it's remotely decent is the CV550, although it's not great. Considering your build it should be fine though.

Actually is the CV650 available there? it has a different topology compared to the CV550 as it has DC-DC for the +3.3V and +5V... the CV550 is group regulated. I'd much rather get the 650 model instead if that's available.

With the above said the CX(2017 grey label series) with the CX550 and CX650 would be a much better choice than the CV series... if that's available to you of course.

EDIT: Updated the post with more info.
unfortunately only the power supplies that I mentioned are available even the cv650 is not available which is why I'm so confused about which one to choose I wish I had better options. fun fact I had an M12 evo from seasonic that I sold and now i truly regret it.

so is it ok if i go with the cv550? for a year of use until i finde a seasonic unit ?

If that's your only choice... it'll be fine. I don't see your system pulling more than 150-200W at full load.

Just to inform you, the Seasonic S12II and M12II are pretty low quality aswell... group regulated units like the CV550.

If you wanna go with Seasonic in the future I'd be looking at the Focus GX/GM models.

Last edited:
Reactions: jyraya25
Solution
Sep 26, 2020

Very well, thank you for your help and your helpful advices

Reactions: ChumP