Need help to choose a video card

blackhades

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Hi,
I'm getting a new video card and I'm having a hard time to decide which card I should get between these cards. It would be great if anyone can provide me any ideas, thnx!
By the way, I wonder what the difference is between Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro Ultimate Ed. and Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb Lite.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB DDR $249.00
Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro Ultimate Ed. 128MB $279.00
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb Lite $229.00
Asus V9560TD GeForce FX-5600 128MB DDR $247.00
ASUS V9560VS GeForce FX 5600 128MB w/ TV-Out, Vid-In $268
MSI GeForce FX5600-VTDR128 128MB VIVO + Remote $239.00

All prices listed above are canadian dollars.

Go with the R9600 Built by ATI out of all those. If you like PASSIVE cooling then the UE is nice. The Sapphire Atlantis Lite ues TSOP memory if I remember correctly. It will run well at stock speed but not overclock well. I remember a review by DH putting a FireBlade against a Gigabyte, and they mentioned something about TSOP memory on some of the Atlantises.

I'll see if I can find that when I get to work tomorrow.

Hope that helps. I say BBA R9600Pro. But that's just my opinion as an owner of one.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Ris3n_Da3mon

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2003
I too say to get the BBA R9600pro, i've had 4-5 BBA cards, and whenever i've had a problem they've been really helpful, and quick to get back to me. :D

blackhades

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Sigh....I wish I can get a 9500pro though. It seems to me that 9600pro isn't as good as 9500pro b/c of its pipeline and vertex shader. I would definately go for 9500pro if I can grab one.

blackhades

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
What's the difference in performence for cards Built By Ati and cards from other brands?

I went to the shops to check on the cards and the price again and I found a new brand called Power Color. The price is much lower than other Radeon cards. Is it a good choice?

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Supposely, all of them should perform the same, however if they used a different clock speed, then it won't be the case
PowerColor, I have a friend using a Radeon9000 from PowerColor, he has no problem with that, but I heard lot of people were having problem with PowerColor..so you got to check, at least, go to PowerColor's web site to make sure that the one you wish to get has the "normal" Clock Speed for both GPU and RAM
I'm using a 8500LE built by Sapphire, I don't have problem with it
In any case, I would still suggest to get a Built By ATI if the money isn't a problem.

I personally dislike PowerColor (but obviously like Nights_L proves) others aren't as ticked by their antics.

Check out <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDgzLDI=" target="_new">THIS Review</A> from [H] (check overclocking segment I linked to) that shows the various clock games they play. It's not their first. They did similar things with their R9700'Pro' which became R9700Gold which was just and R9700non-pro.

Simply put, if it's not BBA then do some research. Hercules, Gigabyte, Tyan and a few others have built solid names for themselves. Sapphire can be good but have alot of different cards so check which one you plan on buying. A visit to the buyer's guide FAQ here in the forum (not the THG buyer's guide from the main page [full of inconsitencies]) might be a good start.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
Stay away from the 9600 PRO "Lite". I believe the GPU runs at PRO speeds but the memory runs slower than a 9600 PRO.

Out of those cards, I'd go with the Ati 9600 PRO foor sure.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529