Jun 7, 2020
Hi good morning... I hope someone can enlighten me on which one to get between these cpus. I am planning to build my son his first PC. He's a kid so most probably he will be using it for gaming but I also wanted the PC to handle minor school stuff like a bit of photo and probably video editing. Dunno which to choose between 6C/6T and 4C/8T and how does it translates to real world usage. Also I'm not sure about this but the 3500 doesn't support hyper-threading. I don't know if that is a deal breaker or what not. Here in the Philippines I can get the 3300x for about $140 and the 3500 for $130. Many thanks for help.

Solution
3500 is a better choice as it has 6 physical core compared to 4 physical. The 8T is a thread meaning it is using the 4 physical cores to process when resources are idle in the cores aka sharing of resources.

When it comes to speed, 3300x is slightly faster in terms of megahertz, but that is when it is running as a single core. When application is using multicores to process especially with modern games, photos and video editing software, the 3500 will still be faster.

If you intend to chose a value for money and future proofed CPUs between these 2, go for 3500.

reference
https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_3_3300x-1345-vs-amd_ryzen_5_3500-1335

View...
Hi good morning... I hope someone can enlighten me on which one to get between these cpus. I am planning to build my son his first PC. He's a kid so most probably he will be using it for gaming but I also wanted the PC to handle minor school stuff like a bit of photo and probably video editing. Dunno which to choose between 6C/6T and 4C/8T and how does it translates to real world usage. Also I'm not sure about this but the 3500 doesn't support hyper-threading. I don't know if that is a deal breaker or what not. Here in the Philippines I can get the 3300x for about $140 and the 3500 for $130. Many thanks for help.
Typically 6 physical cores will be faster in multi-threaded applications than a 4c/8t CPU. AAA title gaming needs at least 4c/4t right now, but faster cores still help out the most.

Jun 6, 2020
3500 is a better choice as it has 6 physical core compared to 4 physical. The 8T is a thread meaning it is using the 4 physical cores to process when resources are idle in the cores aka sharing of resources.

When it comes to speed, 3300x is slightly faster in terms of megahertz, but that is when it is running as a single core. When application is using multicores to process especially with modern games, photos and video editing software, the 3500 will still be faster.

If you intend to chose a value for money and future proofed CPUs between these 2, go for 3500.

reference
https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_3_3300x-1345-vs-amd_ryzen_5_3500-1335

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06xu9-1GcvE

Last edited:
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A 6core/6thread cpu is one that doesn't support hyperthreading, the 4core/8thread cpu does support hyperthreading, hyperthreading being the ability of a core to run 2 simultaneous threads.

So the 8thread possible cpu will be stronger in multiple thread catagories than the 6thread cpu, but the 6thread cpu will be stronger in anything not using upto 8 threads as its bandwidth is not cut in half for each thread.

With games, 8 threads will be better suited overall, and most schoolwork things and other minor content creation or websurfing or editing will either use more gpu power or less than 8 threads.

Of course the 3600 would give the benefits of both, without the drawbacks of either.

Honestly I'd give the win overall to the 4c/8t i3-3300x.

A 6core/6thread cpu is one that doesn't support hyperthreading, the 4core/8thread cpu does support hyperthreading, hyperthreading being the ability of a core to run 2 simultaneous threads.

So the 8thread possible cpu will be stronger in multiple thread catagories than the 6thread cpu, but the 6thread cpu will be stronger in anything not using upto 8 threads as its bandwidth is not cut in half for each thread.

With games, 8 threads will be better suited overall, and most schoolwork things and other minor content creation or websurfing or editing will either use more gpu power or less than 8 threads.

Of course the 3600 would give the benefits of both, without the drawbacks of either.

4C/8T doesn't always win against 6c in multi-threaded applications, even those that can use 8t. Even though AMD gets more from its SMT that Intel does from HT, the speed up is about 1.3-1.4x per physical core. That would put a 4c/8t CPU in the performance range a bit better than 5 physical cores, but not to that of 6 physical cores. Will there be applications that have even better threading and allow 4c/8t to beat the 6c/6t...sure, but that isn't the norm.

I'd grab the cheapest of the two...both offer solid mid-level gaming performance which will really depend a lot more on the GPU you buy.

As far as photo / video editing and school work I doubt there will be enough of a difference between the two to make any difference for the casual user.

Paired with a fast SSD and and 16gigs of fast low latency memory either will make a nice pc.

Jun 20, 2020

Correction dude it Ryzen 3, not i3