Apr 23, 2018
Hi guys, my question is a little long so pls read it carefully:

Currently building up a new gaming pc, I have chosen these parts for my build:
- core i5 8400
- B360M-D3H Mobo
- GTX 1060 6GB
- RAM 2x8GB 2666Mhz
- 2 HDDs 1TB WD Blue 7200-RPM

Finally i got confused about choosing a case, the main problem is that my budget is so restricted so my choices are limited:

First of all my choice was on that case:

-Cooler Master CMP-500 Mid Tower Desktop Case + Cooler Master B600 Ver.2 PSU

but some people told me before to get an external power supply because the build-in ones can blow up the system (not sure about this info cuz its my 1st gaming pc since a long time).

I started to look for some other cases with external power supply, I have chosen that power supply for my new build and all said its good one:

- Cooler Master MWE 500 PSU 80 Plus

Then my next search on a case and i found both those:

(1) Cooler Master K282 K-Series Mid Tower Desktop Case
(2) Cooler Master K380 K-Series Mid Tower Desktop Case

The difference between both of them is little, like GPU length 315 for K282, 316.6 for K380, by any ways both should be able to support GPUs until GTX 1080 (Length = 314) except of course for the ti version cuz i think it needs a full-tower case.

The real difference for the number of fans: 3 for K282, 4 for K380 but there are 2 pre-installed fans with K282 which will help me to save more budget buying a third-party fan vs only 1 pre-installed fan with K380, here will be some questions:

(A) how many fans do i really need in my case to get the best cooling for components? I'm living in hot country at summer and i'm building up this pc for gaming.

(B) what's the problem with built-in power supplies ??

(C) will be K282 better choice than K380 if i choose it ??

Thanks, and i'm very sorry for the long subject.

Solution
As i said, 2x fans are minimum for PC's airflow. Though, with 3x fans, you can either go with positive pressure (2x intakes, 1x exhaust) or negative pressure (1x intake, 2x exhausts).

Besides different looking front panel between K282 and K380, K380 also has location to install bottom intake fan. For cooling aspect, bottom intake fan is the best source for cold air into your PC. Side fan can be either intake or exhaust. I've put side fans as intake to bring extra cold air in for GPU/CPU.

While K380 only comes with 1x 120mm fan installed, 120mm fans come as cheap as $2.90,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tmw323/apevia-case-fan-cf12sbk

I'd like to know which better component you can buy with the extra $3? But if $3 does break...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Q&A:
(A) Bare minimum of fans would be 2. 1x front intake, 1x rear exhaust.
Though, for lowest possible noise, install fans in all the fan locations so you can run your e.g 4x fans at 800 RPM while the airflow is still as good as you'd have 2x fans running at max RPM (e.g 1600 RPM).

(B) Those included PSUs aren't designed to handle dedicated GPUs and their build quality is also low.
Though, if you're building an office PC where you don't have dedicated GPU in it, then going with that PC case + PSU combo could save a bit of money.

For a good quality and wallet friendly PSU, any 4 of these Seasonic units will do just fine for your build,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,bkp323,KmgzK8,Qb8j4D/

All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

(C) Since choosing a PC case is personal choice, go with the one that you like the most appearance wise.

hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018

Thanks you so much for you reply, first of all Seasonic PSU looks so good but unfortunately out of my budget but i will try to get it if my budget allowed that.

Second: from your words 2 fans looks enough but also need your perspective to choose the best case from the ones i mentioned, how do you see the K282 ?? it has 2 pre-installed fans one at the front, one at the rear, if a got the K380 series i will need to buy another fan cuz K380 only has 1 pre-installed. so choosing the k282 will help me to save more budget for something else, that's why i have asked you about the real number of fans that will be enough for the best cooling.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
As i said, 2x fans are minimum for PC's airflow. Though, with 3x fans, you can either go with positive pressure (2x intakes, 1x exhaust) or negative pressure (1x intake, 2x exhausts).

Besides different looking front panel between K282 and K380, K380 also has location to install bottom intake fan. For cooling aspect, bottom intake fan is the best source for cold air into your PC. Side fan can be either intake or exhaust. I've put side fans as intake to bring extra cold air in for GPU/CPU.

While K380 only comes with 1x 120mm fan installed, 120mm fans come as cheap as $2.90,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tmw323/apevia-case-fan-cf12sbk

I'd like to know which better component you can buy with the extra $3? But if $3 does break your budget, go with K282. ;)

Though, i'd go with K380 and install:
1x 120mm front intake (already installed)
1x 120mm bottom intake
1x 120mm rear exhaust
while leaving side fan uninstalled. With positive pressure, less dust enters your system and you can go longer without cleaning your PC internals. But if GPU does get way too hot (70C and above), there's always option to install the side fan, either as intake or exhaust to improve PC's airflow.

Oh, K380 side panel has window too from where you can see how dusty your PC gets over time. While K282 also has windowed version (KWN1), it looses the side fan mount. To get side fan mount for K282, you'll need to go with the windowless version (KKN1).

Solution

hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018

Good info, thank you so much for your help and more thanks again for your time :) :)