Question need help to connect internet

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Hello all

i moved in to another apartment and my socket is far in living room i cannot use long cable to connect to pc as when i close open doors the cable is going off

is there anything i can buy like some router or tp link can someone explain me is it good as tp link as i understand
connect to the wall socket in my room and from there i can use Ethernet cable to connect to my pc ? will there be some drops in connection ?

So I assume you mean you plug the pc into some wall outlet in your apartment, do you have a router or modem?

I think you are talking about powerline network devices. TPLINK is the better known brand but a number of companies make these.

It is fairly simple. You plug one device into a power outlet near the wall jack. You then plug the other in a outlet near your pc. Your hook ethernet cables between the wall jack and the first powerline network. It sends the signal over the power wires and comes out on the unit near your pc. You hook a ethernet cable between that unit and your pc. Most units if you buy 2 at the same time are already configured to talk to each other so you do nothing more than plug them in the power outlets.

Depends on what you are doing and how fast your internet connection is. They are much slower than a direct ethernet cable. Although they have numbers like 1000 or 2000 you will get nowhere near that. If you are lucky they might run 300mbps but expect more in the 130-150mbps range. Be sure to buy the newer versions with a number of 1000 or 2000 not the older 500 or 600 units. The units are very stable you should get no data loss and no problem with latency. The speed is more than fast enough for most uses. The only application that can really use a lot of bandwidth would be very large downloads. I guess if you were going to download some 50gbyte game you could just use your ethernet cable and when you are done go back to powerline units to play the game.

Reactions: adast

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
or what i have to buy to get wired in
So I assume you mean you plug the pc into some wall outlet in your apartment, do you have a router or modem?

I think you are talking about powerline network devices. TPLINK is the better known brand but a number of companies make these.

It is fairly simple. You plug one device into a power outlet near the wall jack. You then plug the other in a outlet near your pc. Your hook ethernet cables between the wall jack and the first powerline network. It sends the signal over the power wires and comes out on the unit near your pc. You hook a ethernet cable between that unit and your pc. Most units if you buy 2 at the same time are already configured to talk to each other so you do nothing more than plug them in the power outlets.

Depends on what you are doing and how fast your internet connection is. They are much slower than a direct ethernet cable. Although they have numbers like 1000 or 2000 you will get nowhere near that. If you are lucky they might run 300mbps but expect more in the 130-150mbps range. Be sure to buy the newer versions with a number of 1000 or 2000 not the older 500 or 600 units. The units are very stable you should get no data loss and no problem with latency. The speed is more than fast enough for most uses. The only application that can really use a lot of bandwidth would be very large downloads. I guess if you were going to download some 50gbyte game you could just use your ethernet cable and when you are done go back to powerline units to play the game.
thanks for reply i have a BT broadband modem which is in the living room yes i download alot of games which are more then 50gb so tp link would be best idea to go for

You buy a pair of tplink powerline adapters and you need 2 ethernet cables. You connect a ethernet cable between the router and the powerline unit in the living room. You then connect a the second ethernet cable between the powerline unit in your room to your pc.

You can download games over the powerline but it might take longer. Let say it takes a hour to download some game over the powerline. So if you have very fast internet like say 1gbit you could spend 5 minutes temporarily running cable over the floor (leaving doors open I guess) and down load in 10 minutes. You could then put the temporary cable away and use the powerline units to play the game.

It all depends on how fast your internet is. If it is only say 100mbps then it will not be any different.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
You buy a pair of tplink powerline adapters and you need 2 ethernet cables. You connect a ethernet cable between the router and the powerline unit in the living room. You then connect a the second ethernet cable between the powerline unit in your room to your pc.

You can download games over the powerline but it might take longer. Let say it takes a hour to download some game over the powerline. So if you have very fast internet like say 1gbit you could spend 5 minutes temporarily running cable over the floor (leaving doors open I guess) and down load in 10 minutes. You could then put the temporary cable away and use the powerline units to play the game.

It all depends on how fast your internet is. If it is only say 100mbps then it will not be any different.
does it affect online while playing like getting higher ping