need help to make a wireless connection

swarnava dey

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Hi guys . I am having one problem. Currently i am having ramptel adsl router . I have been using with my bank broadband but i have disconnected my broadband due to high bills and slow speed. Now what i am gonna thinking is to use bsl eddo connection which is the cheapest to get unlimited. Now its a 3g connection i have to buy a dongle usb from them . Can i use my adsl router with that dongle to create hotspot in my home .please help me guys

Solution
If it is a good deal for your area go with it. The whole usb to the computer then through the LAN port to the old DSL router trick is rather advanced for many people. Heck last time I had to do something quite similar it took me an hour to get it working. As I live in the USA (Just an hour from Canada) I have no idea about ISP's in other country's. Sometimes you just have to try something and if it doesn't workout try another. I pay around $50 USD per month for 35Mbps\5Mbps unlimited cable modem service at home.
Depends on the router and how good with the computer you are. You would need to share the connection and run a LAN cable to the router if the router will allow you to switch the input from the DSL (RJ-11 jack) to one of the LAN ports (RJ-45 and usually the 1st port) I have done this with older westell dsl routers but setting it up can be fun. Also your computer would need to always be on in order for the internet to be shared to the router.

You most likely have to have the USB dongle hooked up to your PC then in networking where it shows your LAN connection go in the properites and enable internet sharing and select the correct connection. You will have to have a LAN cable go from your PC to the input Ethernet/RJ-45 on the router so that the connection from the USB 3G modem can make it to the wifi router.

swarnava dey

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
i will be using bsnl evdo connection with a usb dongle . i haven't bought that bsnl evdo dongle shall i try with a simple usb dongle say i am having one - micromax mmx353g 3g usb dongle . i am using windows 10 . lan cable means the cable that i am using currently for connecting my router and pc right .

Yes you could try with your current USB 3G adapter to make sure you can get it all working before spending money on a new one. Yes the LAN cable is the one that goes from your PC to your current router. Basically what you will be doing is telling windows to take the internet from the dongle and share it to the LAN port on your computer allowing you to send it to the router so you can have it on WIFI. The only bad part is that if your computer is off so is your internet going to the router and hence the WIFI.. Yes you should be able to do it with windows 10. Feel free to look up internet connection sharing in windows 10 for more step by exact step instructions. But this is totally doable as I have done it a few times when in a pinch. (Being at a fishing camp with no internet except an Iphone and wanting to watch netflix and check my email and go on the web on a screen bigger than a couple inches)..

swarnava dey

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
where do u live friend . i am having one question . does bsnl evdo provide good speed atleast 200kbs . because i am a heavy downloaer for that i need atleast that speed . also the telephone exchange is nearby its about 2-5 km . i can see the tower from my house top . now for wifi i will connect the usb dongle to the usb and the lan cable to router then in internet sharing i will share that then what to do ? tell me the next step

I live in the middle of nowhere in Maine so I am lucky to even get cell coverage in some areas up here. Being close to the tower will help you get a faster connection for sure but I have no idea what your speed will end up being. After sharing the internet connection with the LAN you might have to log into the router setup and tell it to use the LAN for its internet connection rather than the DSL port. To access the setup you open up a web browser and type 192.168.0.1 and for the user name it should be: admin For the password it should also be: admin
Once logged in you should be able to tell it to use the LAN port for internet rather than the DSL port.

Select the 2nd option for eth(ethernet) save (or apply depending on what it says) the settings and the router should restart or at least change the setting allowing the internet to go over the wifi. Test it with another device that has wifi after you do this.

I looked around and am not 100% on the exact settings but try the bridge mode. It shouldn't need any passwords or user names as the internet is coming from the LAN cable from the computer and from the 3G usb. Feel free to try other options if this does not work. There is actually not that much I could find on how to do this with your router.. I did findout that you have to have the LAN cable plugged into Port 4.

swarnava dey

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
see i have connect the router to my pc using the 4/WAN port .that is wat u were saying . i have selected the bridge option but then what to do with the tow connections . say me the next step . when i am clicking the "bridge connections " option in lan settings then it says i need atleast two lan or high speed internet . what to do ?

It must not be the bridge option then. It could be one of the PPOE options. I could only find the most basic of info on the exact setup of your router so it is really hard to know exactly what to do for your setup. Basically try different options and see what works by a process of elimination if need be.

swarnava dey

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
i think better not to do anything .moreover there is a bad news bsnl is closing the evdo connection . then no question of wifi . i think i should go for reliance netconnect with 449 and 779 truly unlimited plans what do u say ?

If it is a good deal for your area go with it. The whole usb to the computer then through the LAN port to the old DSL router trick is rather advanced for many people. Heck last time I had to do something quite similar it took me an hour to get it working. As I live in the USA (Just an hour from Canada) I have no idea about ISP's in other country's. Sometimes you just have to try something and if it doesn't workout try another. I pay around $50 USD per month for 35Mbps\5Mbps unlimited cable modem service at home.

Solution