Need help to setup my home network...

Seskoi

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
Hi guys!

I hope you're having a great time.
I'm having difficulties setting up my home network. I'd say I'm usually okay with computers, but networking has always been my weakness, so I need your help!

Here's my new appartment and my setup:

T67Y1eo.png

My problem is: the modem is in the restroom, so the wireless signal is very weak in the bedrooms. My main computer is in my bedroom, so I also want a wired internet connection there.

I used an old Linksys router with DD WRT (router2) in my bedroom, connected to the main router (router 1) with a powerline adapter. I've followed this basic guide to connect the router LAN to WAN.

Unfortunately, now everything connected to the second router (wired or wireless) can't access the main router nor the Internet. What do I do wrong? Is this the correct way to do what I want to do?

Here are my settings for the main router:

81gK33p.png

Here are my settings for the second router:

a1dI0DX.png

Any help would be really appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

As stated above fix those fields first.

Did you try to hook your pc directly up to what I assume by CPL you means ethernet cable. This would insure that you are getting a network connection before you spend lots of time setting up a router.

The method you propose will work but the downside is you now have 2 routers and networks in the path. This causes issue for some things. You may be better served to run your second device as a AP rather than a router. This would simplify troubleshooting problems in the future.

Seskoi

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
Thank you guys for your answers.

First, sorry I though CPL was an english acronym, but it's french; I meant powerline adapter.

Now, what should I put into those fields? Gateway and local DNS?
I'm sorry, I left it blank because I don't really know what it is.

bill001g, yes, my PC is currently directly connected with the powerline adapter. I'm doing this router thing because I think this is the most simple solution to have great wireless coverage in the bedrroms AND a wired connection without having to spend money for another powerline adapter. Am I right? :)

Thanks again guys.