Need help to upgrade a prebuilt that I bought from a friend

Mar 31, 2018
I bought a pre-built gaming computer from a friend of mine recently. I think it's pretty great. I haven't own a gaming computer before. The only downside is that it's 2-3 years old now and I would like to upgrade parts so that it will last me for several years to come. Here is what I have:

MB: GA-78LMT-USB3
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor
GPU: Radeon RX 470 Graphics
RAM: 1x8GB
PSU: Thermaltake SMART Series SP-650P 650W
Storage: 2x1 TB HDD
Cooling: 5xAigo Aurora C5 Fans
PC Case: iBUYPOWER ARC 647 Gaming Chassis

I don't have a lot of money to spend on this project right away. I would like to ask any of you kind people if you can suggest what I should upgrade first, then second, then third, etc and what I should upgrade them to. I want to make a priority list so that every 3-5 months when I have the money to spend I could buy the next item on the list and upgrade the computer slowly over time. I'm new to building computer and pretty excited to learn the ins and outs of this computer.

Solution
you could upgrade your CPU to an FX8350(would require new CPU cooler as well) and then upgrade your gpu to a GTX1060 or RX580, you could get an SSD as well. thats about all your can do with it

if you wanted to have a more long term solution you would have to buy a new motherboard and CPU
you could upgrade your CPU to an FX8350(would require new CPU cooler as well) and then upgrade your gpu to a GTX1060 or RX580, you could get an SSD as well. thats about all your can do with it

if you wanted to have a more long term solution you would have to buy a new motherboard and CPU

Solution
Mar 31, 2018

Thanks for the response! Which motherboard would you suggest I'd look into?

Do you know which version of the motherboard? Earlier versions have problems running 125w cpu’s like the 8350 even though they claim they are supported.

To be honest I would leave it alone. It is balanced and any upgrade will give limited performance gains and not really worth the cost. It’s running an obsolete cpu socket and DDR3 RAM, to get a significant performance increase means moving to a modern platform which requires new motherboard/RAM/CPU and may also run into Windows licensing issues as it is a prebuilt.

The new motherboard/RAM/CPU and Windows 10 will run about $500. This not something to buy slowly over time. Your current AMD 760 Chipset motherboard was introduced in 2009 and probably not something to put any more money into.

For example:
AM4 Chipset system
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($155.97 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($163.89 @ OutletPC)
Windows 10 - $100