[SOLVED] NEED HELP TO UPGRADE CPU/PC and WHY CURRENT I9 CPU CANT HANDLE IT

Aug 25, 2020
hey guys I am needing advice on what kind of PC to get. The main focus of the PC will be to have 200 windows open all playing Spotify or another streaming app with all playing music.
I currently have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s) and I am only able to open like 40 different windows before my CPU utilization reaches 100% and starts freezing and shutting down. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also I do have a large budget so don't spare with your suggestions
thank you. Also I am pasting the current specs of my current PC so maybe somebody can tell me why I can't run more threads because I thought I should be able to run more than 40.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name DESKTOP-KLIF51P

System Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

System Model MS-7B61

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU Default string

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1.80, 8/26/2019

SMBIOS Version 2.8

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Product Z370 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B61)

BaseBoard Version 1.0

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State Off

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.423"

User Name DESKTOP-KLIF51P\TriCityPC

Time Zone Central Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 25.1 GB

Total Virtual Memory 61.7 GB

Available Virtual Memory 12.5 GB

Page File Space 29.7 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection Off

Virtualization-based security Not enabled

Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Last edited:
Solution
Each window it opens a google chrome browser. I'm not sure I can change the memory for each page
First of all smooth playback will also be affected by your internet, even if your bandwidth is enough you won't be able to handle enough packets on the same system to play 200 songs smoothly.

Second if the chrome app uses something like javascript then it will use way more CPU than it actually needs because that's the way it works,you should get
Battle Encoder Shirasé open a single spotify and decrease the usage a click above the limit were it starts to stutter, that way each browser window will only use as much CPU as it actually needs.

You could also spend some time searching if there are any hardware decoders/accelerators...
The main focus of the PC will be to have 200 windows open all playing Spotify or another streaming app with all playing music.
I'm sorry man, but this is just dumb. Possibly one of the worst "reasons" for an upgrade that I've ever seen and I'm calling troll on this nonsense. You need to give us a really good reason why your post shouldn't be simply closed for being nonsensical.

Reactions: Afro_ninja199
Aug 25, 2020
This isn't a troll. I'm running a application for music marketing and I have to be able to run multiple windows at once. I wouldn't wasted my time on here trolling. I need to know what kind of PC to get that will run smoothly. thanks

Aug 25, 2020
Please describe the use case for this.

Why yes, I AM a developer/requirement analyst. I always ask why.

Plus...only 32GB actual RAM?
The first thing that jumps out to me is that you have exceeded your physical RAM. You have 61GB virtual memory (physical RAM and pagefile) but only 12GB available. I think those "40 windows" have used all your RAM and then some.
ok are you saying I just need to increase my ram instead instead of getting a new CPU or PC.

Aug 25, 2020
Please describe the use case for this.

Why yes, I AM a developer/requirement analyst. I always ask why.

Plus...only 32GB actual RAM?
I'm running a application for music marketing and I have to be able to run multiple windows at once. I wouldn't wasted my time on here trolling. I need to know what kind of PC to get that will run smoothly. thanks

Aug 25, 2020
What do the application developers say about required hardware specs?

This function may be better if split across multiple systems.
They don't have required specs. They just say set the thread count to the max your PC can handle so thats why I'm here inquiring about what can I upgrade or what kind of PC should I get.

Aug 25, 2020
They don't have required specs. They just say set the thread count to the max your PC can handle so thats why I'm here inquiring about what can I upgrade or what kind of PC should I get.
Multiple PCs will work of course but I need t
The first thing that jumps out to me is that you have exceeded your physical RAM. You have 61GB virtual memory (physical RAM and pagefile) but only 12GB available. I think those "40 windows" have used all your RAM and then some.
ok so are you saying I need to increase the virtual ram? I am a bit confused on the different between physical and virtual ram?

This isn't a troll. I'm running a application for music marketing and I have to be able to run multiple windows at once. I wouldn't wasted my time on here trolling. I need to know what kind of PC to get that will run smoothly. thanks
An application that requires you to run 200 windows at once, all playing different audio? That makes no sense. Who could possible have any use for something like that. Why would somebody even WANT to be able to do that? You couldn't understand anything anyhow, or am I not understanding you, because I think I AM understanding what you want to do and it simply makes no sense anymore than the people we get here that want to be able to have 300 or more browser tabs open at the same time.

And as per your original post, I'm wondering why you would think that a CPU with only 16 threads would be able to simultaneously "run more than 40"? If you want a system that can run 40 simultaneous threads, you better SERIOUSLY open your wallet and be prepared to spend around 1200 dollars for a 24/48 CPU plus motherboard and memory. Even then, I don't think the premise has any merit or makes any sense, but maybe I don't REALLY understand what it is you are trying to do. The fact that USAFRet hasn't already given you an answer, says I don't think he believes it does either.

USAFRet

Titan
Multiple PCs will work of course but I need t

ok so are you saying I need to increase the virtual ram? I am a bit confused on the different between physical and virtual ram?
Virtual RAM (pagefile) is used when the system runs out of physical RAM. In your case, the 32GB.
It swaps data in and out of RAM, to the hard drive or SSD. Which is monstrously slower than SDRAM.

But...
200 Spotify instances? I'm still trying to wrap my head around what is using these. How is your "music marketing " application talking to all these?

Aug 25, 2020
An application that requires you to run 200 windows at once, all playing different audio? That makes no sense. Who could possible have any use for something like that. Why would somebody even WANT to be able to do that? You couldn't understand anything anyhow, or am I not understanding you, because I think I AM understanding what you want to do and it simply makes no sense anymore than the people we get here that want to be able to have 300 or more browser tabs open at the same time.

And as per your original post, I'm wondering why you would think that a CPU with only 16 threads would be able to simultaneously "run more than 40"? If you want a system that can run 40 simultaneous threads, you better SERIOUSLY open your wallet and be prepared to spend around 1200 dollars for a 24/48 CPU plus motherboard and memory. Even then, I don't think the premise has any merit or makes any sense, but maybe I don't REALLY understand what it is you are trying to do. The fact that USAFRet hasn't already given you an answer, says I don't think he believes it does either.
Dude I don't give a damn if you think why I need you to use the application. THATS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I don't want your advice. Know that the application makes me over 5 figures a months and I need the best option to compute it. I don't care about 1200 dollars I spent 4k on my current PC ! Believe me? You think I need you to believe me. Get a life.You don't even know what 16 threads means. A business that is generating streams for many different artist and you think I have time to waste. GET A LIFE. your opinion means nothing!!

Aug 25, 2020
Virtual RAM (pagefile) is used when the system runs out of physical RAM. In your case, the 32GB.
It swaps data in and out of RAM, to the hard drive or SSD. Which is monstrously slower than SDRAM.

But...
200 Spotify instances? I'm still trying to wrap my head around what is using these. How is your "music marketing " application talking to all these?
Its more of a bot software that basically opens different windows and plays the artist music. Its meant to generate streams for different artist for promotion. Each window will be playing a different song. Currently its only able to open about 40 playing smoothly. I simply just want to know whats the best option for this to run smoothly. Not trying to troll or anything

USAFRet

Titan
Its more of a bot software that basically opens different windows and plays the artist music. Its meant to generate streams for different artist for promotion. Each window will be playing a different song. Currently its only able to open about 40 playing smoothly. I simply just want to know whats the best option for this to run smoothly. Not trying to troll or anything
  1. Change your current 32GB RAM for 64GB.
  2. Spread this function across multiple physical systems, each with their own 64GB RAM and a current high end processor. 9th or 10th gen Intel.

Reactions: getmoney555
Aug 25, 2020
  2. Spread this function across multiple physical systems, each with their own 64GB RAM and a current high end processor. 9th or 10th gen Intel.
OK. But I still would like the know what the ideal specs of a PC to maximize the windows I can play because I will be purchasing another PC. I know I will need a motherboard than will probably allow for 1T of ram. What other things should I make sure I get.

Each window it opens a google chrome browser. I'm not sure I can change the memory for each page
First of all smooth playback will also be affected by your internet, even if your bandwidth is enough you won't be able to handle enough packets on the same system to play 200 songs smoothly.

Second if the chrome app uses something like javascript then it will use way more CPU than it actually needs because that's the way it works,you should get
Battle Encoder Shirasé open a single spotify and decrease the usage a click above the limit were it starts to stutter, that way each browser window will only use as much CPU as it actually needs.

You could also spend some time searching if there are any hardware decoders/accelerators for spotify,I assume you already have hardware acceleration enabled in general for chrome.

Solution
Aug 25, 2020

You could also spend some time searching if there are any hardware decoders/accelerators for spotify,I assume you already have hardware acceleration enabled in general for chrome.
Yes its uses java script and Im pretty sure each window is using way more CPU than it needs. I have top of line internet. 200 pages won't even load on my pc only about 40. I will try out the Battle Encoder. Thank you for that

USAFRet

Titan
200, or even 50+, Chrome windows and the associated Spotify javascript is simply sucking up you current RAM.
Bump it to 64GB and see what happens.

But...I'm not sure if "1TB" would get you to where you want to be. $1000+ for 1TB RAM, and you might then be running into CPU resource issues.

Again...spread this load over multiple systems.

kanewolf

Titan
200, or even 50+, Chrome windows and the associated Spotify javascript is simply sucking up you current RAM.
Bump it to 64GB and see what happens.

But...I'm not sure if "1TB" would get you to where you want to be. $1000+ for 1TB RAM, and you might then be running into CPU resource issues.

Again...spread this load over multiple systems.
The other reason to spread over multiple physical hosts is availability. If you have one big box and it fails you have zero until it is back. If you have four boxes and one fails you run at 75% until you repair the failed box.