[SOLVED] Need help to upgrade firmware CC49 on disk :ST3500418AS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2019
Hello, i tryed with an iso image and with the Windows toold , and both give me the next message when im in the firmware tool : Model Matched , but firmware version not compatible , is the right firmware for sure and right now i have the firmware : HP35 . I would like to know how to force the upgrade or know another method to do it. Thanks

Solution
Seagate's HDD firmware is divided into functional modules. Some modules reside in the "ROM" chip on the PCB, while the remainder reside is a hidden System Area (SA) on the platters.

Updating Seagate OEM firmware (eg Hewlett Packard HP35) with retail firmware (CC49) has serious risks. This is because a firware update does not typically replace all firmware modules. This means that the resulting firmware will be a hybrid mix of OEM and retail modules. These may or may not be compatible. The result may be a non-functional drive, or a drive that behaves strangely.

For example, Seagate specifically states that you must not apply a CCxx firmware update to a drive with SDxx firmware, and vice versa. These are both retail versions. If you...
Mar 5, 2019
Hello , im trying to upgrade the firmware CC49 to my ST3500418AS DISK , it is the right firmware , from seagate.com , and from my model , but it gives me that message on the tool of upgrading . Can someone help me to upgrade the firmware ? Thanks

Mar 5, 2019
I have some firmware to my st3500418AS , cause the newest cc49 dont work to me , and its the right firmware . so i got other older , but they are in .rar or .zip . So how can i do it ? Thanks

Seagate's HDD firmware is divided into functional modules. Some modules reside in the "ROM" chip on the PCB, while the remainder reside is a hidden System Area (SA) on the platters.

Updating Seagate OEM firmware (eg Hewlett Packard HP35) with retail firmware (CC49) has serious risks. This is because a firware update does not typically replace all firmware modules. This means that the resulting firmware will be a hybrid mix of OEM and retail modules. These may or may not be compatible. The result may be a non-functional drive, or a drive that behaves strangely.

For example, Seagate specifically states that you must not apply a CCxx firmware update to a drive with SDxx firmware, and vice versa. These are both retail versions. If you ignore Seagate's warning, the result will be a bricked drive.

Here is a case where a user applied a retail update to OEM firmware:
https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25132

The result was strange SMART reporting (due to a "shift" in the SMART attributes), but otherwise the drive appeared to be OK.

Hopefully the following article will help you to understand the structure of HDD firmware.

The hard drive -- a computer-within-a-computer:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2600

There are ways to forcibly update a drive's firmware, but not by using the RARs or ZIPs found in the firmware resource dumps at places such as HDD Guru. Instead one would use Seagate's official retail or OEM updates and modify the command line that executes the update. The procedure is described in the abovementioned HDD Guru thread.

Here is my analysis of Seagate's SD1A update for the 7200.11:

Analysis of Seagate F3 Firmware Update:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=816

Solution
My manufacter dont tell me how to do it caus eis not his oficial way
Everyone has said not to do it and if you do, follow the instructions on the website.
You don't understand rar or zip files. I think firmware update is too complicated for you to handle on yourself.
And as stated multiple times, if you do this you will end up throwing your HDD in the bin because you will probably break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.