Question Need help tried everything I can think of...

Aug 16, 2022
To preface my build is evga 850 psu 32 gb ram 2 TB hdd and a 500 gb ssd with a msi x570 gaming plus mb and a rtx 3080ti until recently I was using a ryzen 36 or 3700 can't recall exactly but wanted to upgrade I ordered the ryzen 5600x and I made sure to update my bios and clear cmos but each time I try to boot either my CPU or BOOT ez diagnosis lights come on when it's the boot light I make it into the bios when it's the CPU nothing loads I've done everything from taking the computer completely apart and putting it back together to resetting everything. I'm up a creek and would like some advice.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's odd you get boot sometimes and then other times nothing. Would think if something was truly off then one or the other would be more consistent. What can you do when it does boot to bios? Does Windows load at all or not?

How tight did you put the cooler on the cpu, try slacken screws off a little. Too tight can cause problems stressing cpu pins but if it's the result of such symptoms i don't know.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022
I had actually already tried loosening them but it didn't affect anything noticably I even tried using a different heat sink but that also did nothing it I'm starting to think there's just a hardware specific incompatibilities and me just being unlucky

Aug 16, 2022
Additionally I can do anything i normally was able to in bios with two problems 1) I can't save my settings, 2) it took roughly six attempts to update bios flash other than those examples however no issues

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You can't boot to windows then? Kinda confusing what you can and can't do.

Very unstable system it seems. Im wondering if bios update worked properly. But then if it didn't youd have nothing, no display at all, as cpu micro code wouldn't have been updated. Partially? Maybe.

Your mobo has bios flash back button. Try flash it again. Rename bios file on usb stick to Msi.rom. press button. Refer to manual which usb port to use.

Aug 16, 2022
You can't boot to windows then? Kinda confusing what you can and can't do.

Very unstable system it seems. Im wondering if bios update worked properly. But then if it didn't youd have nothing, no display at all, as cpu micro code wouldn't have been updated. Partially? Maybe.

Your mobo has bios flash back button. Try flash it again. Rename bios file on usb stick to Msi.rom. press button. Refer to manual which usb port to use.
So I figured out what was going on when I updated my bios it changed my boot order and me being ill- informed didn't notice but it was trying to boot a drive that I don't have once I swapped it to boot from my normal USB hdd it booted up without issue though I had to return to my old cpu in the process of trying to fix it I broke a few pins on the new cpu