[SOLVED] Need help trimming the fat (new budget pc build)

robinrtb

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
Someone asked me if I could help them build a pc. They have a budget of around €500 and they will be using it for the basics as well as photo editing (think mid-user photoshop, nothing excessive). Of course, I want to help them get the best build for their buck, but finding that right balance has proven quite hard for me (as it's also been a while since I built anything). I've been poking around and came up with the following setup:

Processor (CPU):AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Wraith Boxed AM4 Socket€130
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 AM4 Socket€90
GPU:ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX570 8G OC€145
RAMCorsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 (8 GB)€34
StorageSamsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB (500GB)€90
Storage 2Seagate Barracuda, 1TB€42
CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition€35
Power SupplyCorsair RM550x (2018)€71
CaseFractal Design CORE 2500€51
DVD-Reader Asus DRW-24D5MT (retail)€20

With around €708 total I'm quite above budget and I would like to find some cheaper alternatives for certain components. I have some ideas where I could go cheaper (SSD, GPU) but I don't feel confident going with lower specs. I could use an expert's opinion on where I could save some money and preferably I would love some recommendations for parts if you have them.
As I said, I just want to help them get the best for their buck. They would probably buy a prebuilt €500 pc otherwise so I reckon it won't take much to come up with something better than that.

Thanks!

Edit: I've switched around the SSD for the intel 660p. I've also switched out the Fractal Design CORE 2500 case for the cheaper Thermaltake Versa H22 Black Window to save another €16. Together with removing the cooler and replacing the RAM with 2x 4GB sticks (Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2C3000C16), this brings it to a total of €647. It almost feels impossible but since the budget is closer to 500 I would preferably lose another 100. Now obviously this will hinder performance, I'm just looking for the best way to lose the least.

Last edited:
Solution
You don't need the cooler, the stock cooler is ok. Do you actually need a DVD reader?

However you want either a 2x4gb or 2x8gb, a single stick of RAM will seriously hurt performance and RAM is best bought as a matched kit to avoid issues.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the CPU comes with a cooler. drop the 212 evo. stock will be fine. a beefier cooler can be added if and when needed
the intel 660p may be a less expensive alternative to the samsung evo. more ram if you can in a matched set at least 3200 for the 2 series ryzen.

what country?

Reactions: robinrtb

robinrtb

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
As a quick reply to both:
-The guy explicitly wanted a dvd-reader yes.
-The Netherlands

Thanks for the incredibly quick answers. I will drop the cooler, will look for RAM alternatives and look into the 660p

Edit: I've switched around the SSD for the intel 660p. I've also switched out the Fractal Design CORE 2500 case for the cheaper Thermaltake Versa H22 Black Window to save another €16. Together with removing the cooler and replacing the RAM with 2x 4GB sticks (Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2C3000C16), this brings it to a total of €647. It almost feels impossible but since the budget is closer to 500 I would preferably lose another 100. Now obviously this will hinder performance, I'm just looking for the best way to lose the least.

Last edited: