[SOLVED] Need help trouble shooting. PSU fried SSD?

Parker Bommarito

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
This is a bit of a story so bare with me.
Hardware for context:

Ryzen 3600
Asus Tuf x570 mobo
Gigabyte 3070
PSU: in story
16 gb 3600 mhz ram
Storage: 2× 500gb SATA SSD, 1 M.2 Samsung 1 tb

Currently have the notorious Gigabyte P750 GM. Have had zero problems with it but I did learn about it have major issues in a Gamers Nexus video. (
View: https://youtu.be/aACtT_rzToI
)

So to replace it I bought a Seasonic Focus GM 750. Swapped out the PSU and pressed the on button but I got a click and no power. So I tried a couple things, reconnected/reset the mobo via battery and got nothing, just a click. Thought well maybe it's a DOA product. I'll just swap back the old one for now. Did it and the same thing happened. Click but no post, no fans spinning. Took out all peripherals and GPU and only plugged in CPU and 24 pin (PSU modular). This time it boots. So I put the GPU back in and it posted. Next I added the power for SATA devices and added my boot drive which is one of the SATA SSD. And it clicked and didn't post. So I switched the cord to a brand new one that came with my Seasonic. And only got the click. So I took out my boot drive and switched it to my other SATA SSD. Hit the power button and the fans turned on my mobo showed a red LED and then BOOM. My SATA SSD started smoking from the power connector.

At this point I don't know what to troubleshoot. I have a 3070 and really don't want to damage it. God knows if I can even get another. I don't know what my next steps are.

Solution
So I switched the cord to a brand new one that came with my Seasonic.
Modular PSU cables are not interchangeable between different PSU models.
By using wrong cables you can damage/kill hardware connected.

It looks like that's what has happened here. By using wrong cables you have fed 12V to your SSD, where 5V should have been.
D

Deleted member 362816

You are in a tuff place. In a better world I would say RMA the MOBO just incase perm damage is done before using the 3070 on it. Hard to trouble shoot tbh. Maybe someone else will weigh in. Might as well also join the class action lawsuit against Gigabyte and newegg while you are at it.

So I switched the cord to a brand new one that came with my Seasonic.

It looks like that's what has happened here. By using wrong cables you have fed 12V to your SSD, where 5V should have been.

Reactions: Parker Bommarito
Solution

Parker Bommarito

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014

That makes sense. I guess I saw Cable Mod cables and just assumed there was a standard. But I guess they would just make them Manufacturer spec.

Those cables are not even manufacturer specific. They are series or model specific.
Same manufacturers can have different modular PSUs, where cables are not compatible between them.

General rule - just avoid mixing cables from different PSU models and assume they are not compatible.

Parker Bommarito

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Those cables are not even manufacturer specific. They are series or model specific.
Same manufacturers can have different modular PSUs, where cables are not compatible between them.

General rule - just avoid mixing cables from different PSU models and assume they are not compatible.

NOT EVEN MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC??? Lol that's rough. Guess I had to learn the hard way. I'm glad I was detailed in the story so you could piece out what happened.

So I switched back to the old PSU and I'm guessing I switched up the SATA power cord when I first put it in. Because it posted and I can get in the BIOs. I'm guess these SSDs are fried. But my m.2 seems fine. Would you say it's safe to say my GPU is fine since I literally couldn't mix up those cords as the Seasonic is only semi modular? I took the 3070 out and switched in an old GTX 960 to test.

Brands that are selling PSUs are not always making PSUs themselves. They may just be rebranding/selling PSUs made by other manufacturers.
PSU side of modular cables is not standardized. Every manufacturer can make those cables, however they want. Cable just have to be compatible with their particular PSU model.

If you used wrong modular cable to connect your graphics card, then it can be damaged too.