Question Need help troubleshooting a "faulty" asrock 6900xt

Chainedsoma

Prominent
Feb 25, 2022
Uhh weird post, be advised. I've been shopping for a used 6900xt for a while now, and I've come across this listing. It's surprisingly cheap, at only 350 bucks. I was hoping you guys could help me determine if this guy's card is dead before I bite the bullet, maybe one of you had something similar happen. I'd go check it out with a test pc, but it's a 5h drive there, so I've only questioned him about it so far. He states:

- Video output is lost under heavy load. His case fans, hdds, rgb still run for under a minute before the pc finally shuts off
- Card works fine when idling and browsing, and no artifacting whatsoever when he's gaming before and when it crashes
- He changed his PSU, now uses a CoolerMaster sfx 850w plus gold, same thing happens
- Also no AMD crash logs

My first guess was his PSU, maybe he had a crappy one, or he used a daisy-chain cable for the 8pin connectors. Didn't know he had a modular 850w psu when I thought about that, it's probably not the issue.

I'm thinking it's either something else failing in his system, or his card is truly dead. Even he says he's not 100% it's the card's fault, but still wants to get rid of it.

Has anything similar happened to you? I'd gladly buy it off him but I need to know if it's fine, maybe there's a couple signs I don't yet know that are a dead-giveaway it's not the GPU causing that. Thanks!

DSzymborski

Titan
Uhh weird post, be advised. I've been shopping for a used 6900xt for a while now, and I've come across this listing. It's surprisingly cheap, at only 350 bucks. I was hoping you guys could help me determine if this guy's card is dead before I bite the bullet, maybe one of you had something similar happen. I'd go check it out with a test pc, but it's a 5h drive there, so I've only questioned him about it so far. He states:

- Video output is lost under heavy load. His case fans, hdds, rgb still run for under a minute before the pc finally shuts off
- Card works fine when idling and browsing, and no artifacting whatsoever when he's gaming before and when it crashes
- He changed his PSU, now uses a CoolerMaster sfx 850w plus gold, same thing happens
- Also no AMD crash logs

My first guess was his PSU, maybe he had a crappy one, or he used a daisy-chain cable for the 8pin connectors. Didn't know he had a modular 850w psu when I thought about that, it's probably not the issue.

I'm thinking it's either something else failing in his system, or his card is truly dead. Even he says he's not 100% it's the card's fault, but still wants to get rid of it.

Has anything similar happened to you? I'd gladly buy it off him but I need to know if it's fine, maybe there's a couple signs I don't yet know that are a dead-giveaway it's not the GPU causing that. Thanks!

Awful idea.

First off, it's extremely suspicious that he's trying to sell the 6900XT rather than RMAing it. The 6900XT came out in 12/20, so all of them are still under warranty.

Second, that he's using a quality PSU *now* may not matter much if he had a crappy PSU before. The junk PSU may have been the *cause* of an non-repairable GPU. And you didn't mention what it was.

Thirdly, the price is terrible. The typical going rate for a non-working 6900XT on eBay is $175-$250.

And lastly, do you have experience fixing actually broken GPUs? Once you get rid of the basic problems with a GPU, like poor driver, inadequate GPU, BIOS issue, etc, broken GPUs are almost always going to stay broken GPUs unless you have a great deal of experience working with circuitry of this type, and even then there's a high probability of failure.

Overall, I don't see anything compelling about this purchase whatsoever.