Question Need help troubleshooting a household wiring issue

Tepid Mess

Commendable
May 13, 2021
I am working on a small electrical project and not getting the results I expect.

Let me explain what I am trying to do.

From a standard, working power cable, I want to wire two new single gang boxes in close proximity to each other.

In one, there will be a switch and outlet combination (Leviton T5225). I want the outlet to be on all the time, so I have left the connecting tab intact.

The switch will give power (or not) to a photoelectric switch (Intermatic "NightFox" EK4236S), which in turn will give power to a standard duplex receptacle in the second box when it is dark, and cut its power during daylight.

The second box will be used only for dedicated landscape lights. The switch in the first box is a kill switch in case I don’t want the lights on at all, but in practice it will be on almost all the time. The outlet in the first box is just to have a source of power for any kind of use.

I know it’s weird to have a switch in one box that only operates a different box, but there are reasons I need to do it this way.

I have drawn a diagram to show how I wired this. Note that white wires are colored blue in the diagram because I drew it on white paper.

The always-on outlet in the first box works fine.

But an outlet tester in either receptacle of the second box shows “reversed hot and ground,” and this is true regardless of whether the switch is on or off and regardless of whether it’s light or dark.

I see several possibilities. There may be others.

1. My wiring plan is faulty.

2. My plan is correct, but I did something sloppy in the actual job.

3. My plan is correct in theory, but it is not really possible to do what I want.

4. The Leviton switch is defective.

5. The photoelectric switch is defective.

6. The photoelectric switch needs more time to “warm up” before it will work properly.

7. ???

I would appreciate any feedback or ideas. Thank you!

wiring diagram here: View: https://imgur.com/J68K1HG

Last edited: