[SOLVED] Need help troubleshooting Anthem lag (no other games lag)

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Long time console gamer here, easing more and more into pc gaming. For the last year I've been playing Fortnite and Overwatch on the pc, and more recently Apex Legends, as well as beta testing Anthem and other games. I also run Halo Forge on my pc. The only game I have any problems with whatsoever is Anthem. So far I've gone into the game settings and set my graphics to custom, making everything high except fx, turning anti-aliasing off, motion blur, maybe some other things, and no change. Lots of people all over the 'net are saying they've done the same things with no change. Also, I've seen enough reports from people that have my same graphics card to wonder if there isn't some conflict there (yep, I have the latest drivers installed). Not sure what to do at this point, I just picked up the game a few days ago, and I can't even play it. It's absolutely unplayable. Specifically, it freezes every few seconds for a second or so, and when I do move it's really, really slow and stutter-y.

Something to add, I recently upgraded my cpu and motherboard, and I didn't update anything. Booted it up thinking I was going to reformat and all that, and WIndows 10 just fired right up, so I rolled with it. Graphics card has been updated, and I have Windows Update turned on. Oh, also, I only have 8GB of RAM, but others are running Anthem on that with no problems, so I don't think it's that, but plan to add 8 more next month.

PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
HDD: Seagate Barracuda
RAM: G.Skill NT Series x2
GFX: MSI GeForce GTX 1070
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 (upgraded from an Asus M5A99X)
PSU: Corsair CX650

Solution
Yep I see your problem right there, you did not install a fresh copy of windows 10 after upgrading the motherboard and CPU.

You need to reinstall windows 10 in order to get rid of any bugs. Windows isn't designed to just plug and play into new motherboard and CPU. Especially since you have old chipset drivers that could be causing major bugs.
Yep I see your problem right there, you did not install a fresh copy of windows 10 after upgrading the motherboard and CPU.

You need to reinstall windows 10 in order to get rid of any bugs. Windows isn't designed to just plug and play into new motherboard and CPU. Especially since you have old chipset drivers that could be causing major bugs.

Solution