Need help troubleshooting new A64 X2 rig

linuxman48858

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I received on Thursday last week the following components:

ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition MB
Corsair CM2X1024-6400 1GB DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory w/Black Heat Spreader
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Processor
ASUS EN7600GS Silent Graphics Card
WD 250 GB SATA HDD
Thermaltake Mambo Case
Thermaltake TR2-470 W Power Supply

I put the system together, along with a DVD burner I already had, and I have yet to get anything to show up on the monitor. The system will turn on briefly and then about 5 seconds later it will turn back off.

Originally, I thought the problem might be the PS, so I purchased another PS - Antec SmartPower 500W - only to have the same problem.

I got out my Soyo Tech-Aid Card and the error code that comes up is FF which the manual says is a problem with the processor. I have taken off the HSF and made sure that there were no bent pins on the processor and re-assembled with no change.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it very much. Of all the systems I've built for myself and others, I've never had this kind of problem.

Thanks

linuxman48858

killtacular

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Probably the Asus mobo. They are so gay. I had an AM2 M2N-E and it was unstable as hell. CPU temp was 40 degrees idle. Got a Gigabyte one and never looked back. CPU now runs at 28 degrees idle. 8) To tell you the truth, Asus has loads of problems with memory compatibility...

linuxman48858

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Do the ASUS motherboards have trouble with the DDR2 800 modules that are listed as compatible on the website? I purchased one of the exact model numbers listed.

killtacular

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Do the ASUS motherboards have trouble with the DDR2 800 modules that are listed as compatible on the website? I purchased one of the exact model numbers listed.

That should work then. Still, may be a faulty board... :?: I suppose you can't even do a bios update due to it restarting every 5 seconds....

linuxman48858

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Should I not even suspect the processor? Then green light on the motherboard lights up, and the POST card identifies the processor as being the problem. Perhaps it would be safe to RMA both items and start from scratch?

killtacular

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Should I not even suspect the processor? Then green light on the motherboard lights up, and the POST card identifies the processor as being the problem. Perhaps it would be safe to RMA both items and start from scratch?

Yeah RMA both. I returned my mobo and graphics card as I suspected both. In the end I got a better mobo and graphics card and eliminated all my problems.