[SOLVED] Need help understanding how multiple M.2 NVMe affects read/write speeds, load times, and possibly GPU speeds?

dagobert

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
So first of all, PCIe stuff in general just confuses me. No matter how much I read about it and watch videos, it's one of those topics that just doesn't click with me. Anyways, I need help understanding some things here. These are my specs at the moment:

Specs
CPU:
Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard:
Asus TUF Gaming X-570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU:
RTX 2080 Ti (will be upgrading to 3080 when it's available)
RAM:
16GB (2 x 8GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GTZN DDR4)
Storage:
1tb ADATA SX8200PNP (Windows 10 installation)
1tb Sata SSD's

So as you can see, I already use one M.2 NVMe. I have a 50 something dollar credit from Samsung that I needed to use and I figured I might as well buy another NVMe drive instead of a sata SSD they have on their site or a damn overpriced phone case. Here's where I'm reading things online and I'm somewhat confused. Would having two NVMe drives slow any read or speeds or potentially the Windows startup time? Some people have told me it does and something about the PCIe speeds which totally lost me. Then with the GPU, I heard you get lower performance because you're going to x8. Can someone explain this to me a bit better? Am I just better off not getting another NVMe and just get an additional Sata SSD?

Solution
Not enough PCIe lanes is an Intel thing, I believe. With AMD it's pretty simple. If you look at this diagram here:

syRBzDMVv28opTuB.jpg

or this one here:

X570.png

you will see that adding a second NVMe SSD will not affect your graphics card. So you're cool.

The speed of your existing NVMe SSD will also remain the same.

Now, if you have two identical NVMe SSDs, you could configure them in a RAID0 and get double the speed - at least for sequential read/write. But I do NOT know if you can do that on the X570 and whether that RAID0 would be bootable or not. That, I don't know. If somebody does, I'd love to know the answer.

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
Not enough PCIe lanes is an Intel thing, I believe. With AMD it's pretty simple. If you look at this diagram here:

syRBzDMVv28opTuB.jpg

or this one here:

X570.png

you will see that adding a second NVMe SSD will not affect your graphics card. So you're cool.

The speed of your existing NVMe SSD will also remain the same.

Now, if you have two identical NVMe SSDs, you could configure them in a RAID0 and get double the speed - at least for sequential read/write. But I do NOT know if you can do that on the X570 and whether that RAID0 would be bootable or not. That, I don't know. If somebody does, I'd love to know the answer.

Reactions: dagobert
Solution

TRENDING THREADS