[SOLVED] need help upgrading 5 year old system also maybe just fixing it

Nov 19, 2019
Summary please help me pick some parts out and tell me if I don't really need to replace the other stuff

Current System
Intel Core i5 4590
8 GB DDR3 Memory
1 TB Seagate
GTX 970
ASUS 797M-PLUS
700 Silverstone (Update: I will try to know when I open my system)
Monitor 1920x1080 ASUS VG248QE

ATM I'm facing a few issues and will be listing the attempts I've had fixing them

Low FPS stuttering and crashing on modern day titles Examples: Apex Legends, Call of Duty Modernwarfare
-Lots of custom configs
-fiddling with Nvidia control panel
-CPU unparking
-High Performance in power options

BIOS not saving
-I have to constantly set a few settings I need to run my emulators
-no attempt in fixing
I'm wondering if it's a power supply, motherboard or both that's the problem for the BIOS
Fixes attempted:
Updating BIOS[Nothing changed]

100% disk usage
-I have disabled and tried everything I have found to fix this including a Clean Install of Windows 10
-S.M.A.R.T scan, chkdsk
Fixes attempted:
chkdsk /r[Will observe for now]

I'm wondering if it's a power supply, motherboard or both that's the problem for the BIOS
as for the hard drive I honestly just want to replace it

Here are the parts I'm currently looking at as replacements
ASUS STRIX B360G
SEAGATE 2 TERABYTE
Kingston 260 GB SSD
Intel Core i5-8400 Desktop Processor

At the very least I want to be able to run Call of duty Modernwarfare on 144 hz (1080p) if possible

Note : as far as I know my RAM is Blue HyperX 8 GB DDR3

Edit : Improved and added information Will update with the fixes later on

Budget : 400$

So while I was updating the BIOS my computer went into a power up loop for before I left for school. It does this from time to time randomly. and when I got home it was fixed by just restarting the AVR. Should I be worried? Also this AVR is close to 10+ years old.

Last edited:
Solution
IMO, the reasons you are having FPS drops are because you have 8gbs of system ram, and a 4c/4t CPU. It could also be the disk usage, as that could cause similar issues.

Once your 8gbs of system ram fill up, it uses the swap/page/virtual mem instead, and this is much slower and causes FPS drops and slow downs. The same can be said for your CPU, which will get maxed out pretty quickly in any new game.

Also, your GTX970 is okay, but even with the new system you are not gonna be hitting 144hzz/fps. Your reaching a little too much. Depends on what game, but in general terms, you need a stronger GPU to go with a much better CPU to hit 144hz 1080p.

Lutfij

Titan
If disk usage while on Windows 10 is prevalent, that's know as a memory leak, you should recreate your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. The other matter is that you should ensure that you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

Can you state the exact model for your Silverstone PSU?

On second thoughts, you should follow the stylizing on this thread and add the necessary info on this current thread to help us with possible suggestions.

Reactions: pockycky
IMO, the reasons you are having FPS drops are because you have 8gbs of system ram, and a 4c/4t CPU. It could also be the disk usage, as that could cause similar issues.

Once your 8gbs of system ram fill up, it uses the swap/page/virtual mem instead, and this is much slower and causes FPS drops and slow downs. The same can be said for your CPU, which will get maxed out pretty quickly in any new game.

Also, your GTX970 is okay, but even with the new system you are not gonna be hitting 144hzz/fps. Your reaching a little too much. Depends on what game, but in general terms, you need a stronger GPU to go with a much better CPU to hit 144hz 1080p.

Solution
Nov 19, 2019

What would you recommend as a CPU+Mobo for an upgrade? I've alocated about 300-320$ for those components.

Nov 19, 2019
If disk usage while on Windows 10 is prevalent, that's know as a memory leak, you should recreate your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. The other matter is that you should ensure that you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

Can you state the exact model for your Silverstone PSU?

On second thoughts, you should follow the stylizing on this thread and add the necessary info on this current thread to help us with possible suggestions.

I'd like to ask if this is a clean reinstall of Windows 10?

There are now three threads on this same subject.

I suggest running Checkdisk again using the /r switch,

i.e. chkdsk /r

Because, if you replace the hard disk and clone the system over to that disk, the bad goes with the good because a clone is exactly what it says.

Summary please help me pick some parts out and tell me if I don't really need to replace the other stuff
Here are the parts I'm currently looking at as replacements
ASUS STRIX B360G
SEAGATE 2 TERABYTE
Kingston 260 GB SSD
Intel Core i5-8400 Desktop Processor
Note : as far as I know my RAM is Blue HyperX 8 GB DDR3
1st - you'll need new DDR4 ram with cpu/motherboard upgrade. DDR3 is not compatible with newer cpus.
2nd - get a better SSD than Kingston. Crucial MX500 at least (or Samsung 860 evo, if it fits into your budget).
3rd - Seagate 2TB - not the best option. Significant amount of failures there. Go with HGST 7200rpm for high performance or WD red/purple for mass storage.

Nov 19, 2019
1st - you'll need new DDR4 ram with cpu/motherboard upgrade. DDR3 is not compatible with newer cpus.
2nd - get a better SSD than Kingston. Crucial MX500 at least (or Samsung 860 evo, if it fits into your budget).
3rd - Seagate 2TB - not the best option. Significant amount of failures there. Go with HGST 7200rpm for high performance or WD red/purple for mass storage.
Noted. Thank you.

Nov 19, 2019
There are now three threads on this same subject.

I suggest running Checkdisk again using the /r switch,

i.e. chkdsk /r

Because, if you replace the hard disk and clone the system over to that disk, the bad goes with the good because a clone is exactly what it says.
I was planning on just migrating the OS to a new SSD would that be any different?