[SOLVED] Need help upgrading for cheap

Chris Laking

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Hey peeps! Looking for a helping hand figuring out what upgrade would be best for my system currently i know i want to upgrade my CPU. It not sure if i need anything else.. Using this pc mostly for gaming/streaming. SPECS HERE: M/B: ASROCK FM2A75 PRO4+ CPU: AMD A6-5400k apu with Radeon HD graphics 4.0mhz 1 core 2 logical. GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 1GB. RAM:8 gb OS: windows 10 64-bit

Solution
OP has no GPU currently so unless he goes for another A-Series APU, he would need a GPU.

My 2 cents, go for a new ryzen build with the APU built in. You'd need a motherboard, RAM and the Ryzen. Later on you could add a GPU and maybe upgrade the CPU.
That's a dual core FM2 APU. The support page for whichever model of Asrock motherboard you have will have a 'cpu support' list that will show your upgrade options. Be aware that APUs of that era were poor performers in games. If you upgrade to a quad core APU, that will allow smoother play in a lot of games, but not in the newer and more demanding games.

You also have a videocard that should stick to 720p gaming at most.

Streaming is going to be hit and miss. You might be able to do it with a quad core APU and running games that aren't demanding. Streaming adds to the CPU load, or in your case APU load. So you need enough APU power to run the game AND have power left over to run your stream. I'm not saying you can't do it, but you won't be streaming Fortnite or PUBG.

Chris Laking

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Well for CPU would either of these be good options? I play older games anyhow and free to play games like LoL. 1st :AMD A8-7650K Black Edition A-Series APU with Radeon R7 Graphics or 2nd: Athlon X4 860K FM2+ 4MB 4GB 95W Black. Also would i be better with another APU or a CPU I really just want to enjoy the games i have at least at 30 fps Also my motherboard is the FM2A75 pro4+

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Good or worthwhile, no. Unless you're getting them for free or near free, they represent a terrible bang-for-the-buck proposition.

Any money that you'd spend getting an upgraded processor for that platform is better off saved aside to put toward a modern CPU/motherboard/RAM combo. Yes, you will be spending more up front, but the results will be well worth it.

You'd be able to use your existing video card and hard drive, and, POSSIBLY the power supply, if it's a good quality unit.

Once you're there, the video card would probably be the next thing to upgrade, though your existing one should be able to manage for a while with details lowered.

OP has no GPU currently so unless he goes for another A-Series APU, he would need a GPU.

My 2 cents, go for a new ryzen build with the APU built in. You'd need a motherboard, RAM and the Ryzen. Later on you could add a GPU and maybe upgrade the CPU.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

OP has a GTX 650. Admittedly, I almost missed that myself reading the first time through.

Damn these bifocals.