Need help upgrading gaming pc

Sara Neville

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
I'm in need of a better Motherboard and more RAM, mostly likely a better CPU as well. Only I dunno whats good and what isn't. Also don't know whats compatible. Also dunno if I should change things because they're still good.
This is for gaming.
I'm also on a budge so if you could suggest things that are on the lower end but still good.

(forgive me, I don't know as much as I'd like about the innards of my pc.)
My specs:
Mobo - MSI X58 PRO ms-7522
Cpu - Intel Core i7
6GB ram
PSU - 700 watt Xion
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 1060

:EDIT:

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: 500-600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the net

Are you buying a monitor: Eventually (next month or so)

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, mobo, RAM (PSU - Xion Model: xon-700P12N (3-5 years old))

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, newegg, In store

Parts Preferences: Intel preferably but as long as its good quality I'm not picky.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 eventually

Additional Comments: Quiet is good but not a big deal. I play a lot of Blizzard games and DOOM. Would like to get Fallout 76 and a couple other games that are coming out. Don't need to run on the highest graphics, I just want to to look nice an run good.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: System is getting older. It's having a hard time running dome of the newer games. The video card upgrade helped but it still has issues.

Solution
It's possible the power supply is getting old and tired as well, they lose output over time as the capacitors age and loose their effectiveness.

Whatever choice you make, link your Windows install to a Microsoft account, that way it'll transfer over to the new system and activate automatically but this MUST be done before making any major changes.

Expect to do a full Windows reinstall, using the existing install may work, but it's highly likely you'll end up dealing with a number of issues as a result of driver conflicts while removing the chipset and motherboard drivers isn't always possible or successful.

In the meantime:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz...

Lutfij

Titan
You could go for a mid range system. How much are you looking to send on your system upgrade? Might want to follow through this thread's stylizing. That will give us all the information we'll need to give you a proper feedback.

Off the top of my head, you can look towards a Z370 chipset board, 16GB of DDR4-3200MHz ram and an i7-8700K with an aftermarket cooler.

You should also mention the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age.

Sara Neville

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

Updated the original post, thank you for the link.

It's possible the power supply is getting old and tired as well, they lose output over time as the capacitors age and loose their effectiveness.

Whatever choice you make, link your Windows install to a Microsoft account, that way it'll transfer over to the new system and activate automatically but this MUST be done before making any major changes.

Expect to do a full Windows reinstall, using the existing install may work, but it's highly likely you'll end up dealing with a number of issues as a result of driver conflicts while removing the chipset and motherboard drivers isn't always possible or successful.

In the meantime:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($135.98 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.93 @ OutletPC)
Total: $530.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-02 04:48 EDT-0400

Take this with a critical eye: I've sacrificed CPU power to add a SSD and new PSU into the upgrade, regard both as optional and the CPU as upgradable to something stronger.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS