Need help upgrading motherboard

notsofaroff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
This is my planned rig with components that I either already have or plan to upgrade to:

i5 6600k
gtx 1080(eventually)
rog swift 1440p 144hz monitor
corsair gs700 psu
16gb ddr3 ram 1866mhz

I am currently running an AMD processor so I need a new MB. I know I need a z170 but I honestly cannot tell the difference between them all. I'd like to buy with an eye for the future but still something with good value.

Solution
I know it is not ASUS but this is a great board and should offer you all the features you need for now and plenty of room for upgrades at a later date:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $123.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-24 13:46 EDT-0400

I am assuming your case supports ATX sized motherboards. I'm sure there is a sale on for the next few days at Newegg, so may be good idea to order quick.
Z170 will allow you to overclock the "K".
That is the main thing.
Any of the motherboards will let you oc to a conservative and safe level. Only if you were intent on record seeking overclocks would an enthusiast motherboard be necessary.

GTX1080 is one heck of a card. Only if you were possibly interested in fast action gaming at 4k resolution might you contemplate needing sli capability.
Past that, higher end motherboards will have better sound.
If you want a more compact case, look at the M-ATX format.

If you have a favorite maker, go with that.

notsofaroff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
USA and for a MB I don't really see the need to spend more than $250. But my biggest concern is just getting something that is practical. I will probably overclock just a bit but nothing too extreme and I doubt I will have more than one GPU.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I know it is not ASUS but this is a great board and should offer you all the features you need for now and plenty of room for upgrades at a later date:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $123.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-24 13:46 EDT-0400

I am assuming your case supports ATX sized motherboards. I'm sure there is a sale on for the next few days at Newegg, so may be good idea to order quick.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS