[SOLVED] Need help upgrading my 4 year old gaming PC

Austinomical

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
So, my gaming PC is not cutting it anymore and it's pretty old. The problem is I really can't afford a whole new one, but I don't think I can change out many parts as it has switched too much throughout the years. But let me know. Perhaps a new GPU would help a lot. I am trying to play brand new games like Modern Warfare, Resident Evil 3 remake, and more demanding games at high settings.

Here are my current Specs:
Case: Corsair Full Tower
Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero
CPU : Intel i5-4690k (4th gen)
Ram: 16 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce G1 gaming GTX 970 (I have 2 but they stopped supporting SLI)
Power Supply: EVGA 750 GQ
Cooling: Corsair H105 water

So I know it's pretty old. Would a new GTX card even work with my motherboard? Would that be a good place to start? What do you guys recommend that I can or should upgrade? I guess I could search for some used more recent mobo's and cpus and get a new decent gpu? Or what new gpu would work with my build well? Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Would it be worth it to get a gtx 1660 super to get more FPS. And perhaps upgrade to a used i7 that is compatible with my mobo?
Just get a 1660S now and then put it in your new build when you build a new PC.
Not worth to upgrade to an i7 because there is no 6 core compatible with your motherboard and you have a fast i5 not the slow ones. Just OC your current CPU and you will be fine.
So, my gaming PC is not cutting it anymore and it's pretty old. The problem is I really can't afford a whole new one, but I don't think I can change out many parts as it has switched too much throughout the years. But let me know. Perhaps a new GPU would help a lot. I am trying to play brand new games like Modern Warfare, Resident Evil 3 remake, and more demanding games at high settings.

Here are my current Specs:
Case: Corsair Full Tower
Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero
CPU : Intel i5-4690k (4th gen)
Ram: 16 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce G1 gaming GTX 970 (I have 2 but they stopped supporting SLI)
Power Supply: EVGA 750 GQ
Cooling: Corsair H105 water

So I know it's pretty old. Would a new GTX card even work with my motherboard? Would that be a good place to start? What do you guys recommend that I can or should upgrade? I guess I could search for some used more recent mobo's and cpus and get a new decent gpu? Or what new gpu would work with my build well? Thanks!
An RX580/590 or GTX1660 super are great for your system. Its not worth to upgrade anything else because its an old system. Your CPU is 6 years old.
I recommend you OC your CPU for better performance since you have a good cooler.

Edit: Don't expect high fps in demanding games like BFV 64 player.

Reactions: Austinomical

Austinomical

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
An RX580/590 or GTX1660 super are great for your system. Its not worth to upgrade anything else because its an old system. Your CPU is 6 years old.
I recommend you OC your CPU for better performance since you have a good cooler.

Edit: Don't expect high fps in demanding games like BFV 64 player.
So it would be best to get a cheaper new gpu? Will that be able to hold me over until I can upgrade to a new PC?

Last edited:

Austinomical

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Would it be worth it to get a gtx 1660 super to get more FPS. And perhaps upgrade to a used i7 that is compatible with my mobo?
Just get a 1660S now and then put it in your new build when you build a new PC.
Not worth to upgrade to an i7 because there is no 6 core compatible with your motherboard and you have a fast i5 not the slow ones. Just OC your current CPU and you will be fine.

Solution