[SOLVED] Need help upgrading my graphics card

Jul 18, 2020
Hi guys & gals,

Was wondering if you could help with some advice regarding upgrading my graphics card.
My PC hardware is:
mother board: Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS
CPU: Intel 17-3770K @ 3.5HGz
Ram: 4 x kingstom KHX1600C9D3/4GX
Aerocool VP-550 550W Performance Power Supply
Monitor: Samsung 24" CF390 Curved FHD Monitor

Currently I have a Nvidia Quadro K2000 which I use for work (i.e. autocad and archicad). I want to start playing games like Forza horizon 4 and would like to know if my system can support a new graphics card which can handle that game, and also support CAD related work.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
It would be a poor decision to use this GPU without a better quality power supply.

You would probably need an upgrade on the PSU.

This combination between RTX 2060 SUPER and Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz has less than 8% bottleneck in many games and is perfect match to avoid FPS loss.

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you mean an i7-3770K?

It depends on the exact game, but you can get into the 1070 range before the CPU starts limiting the upside, though you will generally take a performance hit on the newer games that can use the most cores.

I certainly wouldn't buy such a GPU with a cheaply-made entry-level Aerocool PSU though.

Additionally, whether this is a good idea depends on how complex your rendering tasks are. I suspect you'll be fine given the age of the Quadro -- sadly, you'll have trouble finding benchmarks on rendering workloads for old Quadros vs. recent GTX/RTX.

Jul 18, 2020
Yes sorry, I did mean i7-3770k.
You're correct with regards to finding benchmarks on rendering workloads. I did find (on the archicad / Graphisoft website) a Nvidia Quadro K2200 @ 1920x1080 reaching frames per second of 151 whilst the a Nvidia Gefource 1060 GTX reached 181. So it looks promising.

With that in mind, what power supply would you recommend to handle a 1060GTX or something in the 1070 range?