[SOLVED] Need help upgrading my old PC.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 20, 2020
Hey there guys,

This is my pc config atm:

cheap MB from msi + i5 4570
Gpu - gtx 970 extreme gaming oc + 16 ddr3 hyperX
Power S. - Seasonic m12II - 620 w Bronze
Deepcool Gamer Storm Lucifer K2 + decent case with some fans.
and ofc 24 Dell full hd 144 ghz.
2 ssd - samsung 250 gb and 480 kingston cheap one.
1 hdd - 2T - seagate i think.

They served me well those years and I decided to change them. I need some guidance on what I can keep from here what should I pick in terms of cpu+gpu combo.I had a look at ryzen 7 3800x and gtx 2070 super, but I'm not sure if this will be the best combo to keep me going like 5 years, maybe? I also wanna know if I should change the power supply since its a bit old I think, still going strong atm, never had problems with this build. Also I wanna do some video editing on the future build and also I'm playing mostly MMORPG which are cpu hungry, but i think that ryzen 7 will do good no? or should I go for ryzen 9 or maybe i7 10700? The budget should be around those 2070 super and ryzen 7 + decent mobo i think plus some extra cash for case+Power supp. Also I need to know if a 450 mobo series is ok for that cpu.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. I'm open to any discussion and I'm around.

Edit - I can't wait till the end of 2020 for the new nvidia and amd new gpu, because I have some extra money on a shopping card and I need to use them really soon or they're gone :D

Solution
You think the 5700xt pulse is better that the 3fan vers ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT ROG Strix Gaming O6G? I mean that extra vent could help in cooling no? My 970 extreme also have 3 vents and it was really good all those years.

To answer other people question, I want either that i7 10700 or ryzen 7 3800x since the store im aiming for only have those and the money i have need to be spent and also I'm not planning to buy anything again in the near future, lets say 5 years from now on.

If i go for that i7 what mobo should i pick?

To be clear again, my budget is 1000-1200 euros, and the store that i can buy is the one i linked above. I dont wanna downgrade to i5 or ryzen 5 since the money on that card need to be spent. Also i'll...
You think the 5700xt pulse is better that the 3fan vers ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT ROG Strix Gaming O6G? I mean that extra vent could help in cooling no? My 970 extreme also have 3 vents and it was really good all those years.

To answer other people question, I want either that i7 10700 or ryzen 7 3800x since the store im aiming for only have those and the money i have need to be spent and also I'm not planning to buy anything again in the near future, lets say 5 years from now on.

To be clear again, my budget is 1000-1200 euros, and the store that i can buy is the one i linked above. I dont wanna downgrade to i5 or ryzen 5 since the money on that card need to be spent.

Mobos which I said you should look:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nakLNkNwch8

jwcrellin

Reputable

To be clear again, my budget is 1000-1200 euros, and the store that i can buy is the one i linked above. I dont wanna downgrade to i5 or ryzen 5 since the money on that card need to be spent. Also i'll mention again, i'm doing video editing and other stuff on the pc and also the games i'm playing are really cpu hungry than gpu hungry, i wanted to go for the nvidia side because i know amd ones have and had problems with drivers. I dont wanna return the gpu after some weeks of use, that's all.
Both are 8 core 16 threads. The intel i7 has a slightly higher boost clock.
Check that the motherboard you want has the correct socket for intel 10th gen and has the features you want most, eg, wifi or extra m.2 slots or usb ports or whatever. Some boards will have 4 usb ports on the back while others will have 8.
Get a 16GB kit (2x8) of ddr4. If you find later it's not enough, you can buy the exact same kit again and double up capacity. Speed doesn't matter much, just get a 3000/3200 Mhz ones and be happy.
Most current midrange cards will beat out your 970. They are all pretty well balanced as far as price to performance meaning as you spend more you get better performance. Just try not to pay too much extra for a pretty fan shroud.

Solution

To be clear again, my budget is 1000-1200 euros, and the store that i can buy is the one i linked above. I dont wanna downgrade to i5 or ryzen 5 since the money on that card need to be spent. Also i'll mention again, i'm doing video editing and other stuff on the pc and also the games i'm playing are really cpu hungry than gpu hungry, i wanted to go for the nvidia side because i know amd ones have and had problems with drivers. I dont wanna return the gpu after some weeks of use, that's all.

If going with a locked intel the z490-p you picked is fine.

The pulse 5700xt is better than any 5600xt full stop.

I had a rx 580 pulse before my current 5700xt, they are incredibly well made, the fans are easy change if they ever break, the cooler does an excellent job.

The pulse has a dual bios, if you switch to the silent mode it lowers clock speeds and fan speeds slightly for silent cool running (this setting would probably suit you).
This lowers performance slightly but is still way better than a 5600xt and you have reserve gpu horsepower there should you ever need it.

My own 5700xt is the powercolor red dragon, its a very similar design, it's never been over 65c or 60% usage.

Absolutely go for the 5700xt!!

Jul 20, 2020
I decided to go for intel locked i7 10700 + that mobo z490-p wich is more than enough for me since i never overclocked my pc. At the first sign, the z490-p have a lot of things and i don't think ill need more in the future.

Few notes : This is my case atm -https://deepcool.com/product/case/2015-02/9_1721.shtml - running with full 5 vents, should do the job for the new stuff no? Also should i keep my old power supply ? Also my cpu cooler is this - http://www.gamerstorm.com/product/CPUAIRCOOLER/2016-03/1287_4930.shtml, can i still use it or i need to change it? The power supply is a seasonic 620 w bronze, the name is in the first post.

Also, i think ill go for the ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 DUAL EVO - since I don't wanna have problems with the AMD side, all the review from newegg and amazon looks really bad when it comes to the 5700xt, and because my 970 was really good never had a blue screen or high temp or anything bad with her, i think i 'll stay with nvidia just because i dont wanna return and have problems with the a new gpu, also i don't wanna install other bios or stuff like this, i want the GPU to work properly from the start without any tricks or workarounds, but that's just me, also i can throw the extra cash for the 2070, with all of this being said, is that rtx asus 2070 any good in terms of fans and heating?

Last edited:
I decided to go for intel locked i7 10700 + that mobo z490-p wich is more than enough for me since i never overclocked my pc. At the first sign, the z490-p have a lot of things and i don't think ill need more in the future.

Few notes : This is my case atm -https://deepcool.com/product/case/2015-02/9_1721.shtml - running with full 5 vents, should do the job for the new stuff no? Also should i keep my old power supply ? Also my cpu cooler is this - http://www.gamerstorm.com/product/CPUAIRCOOLER/2016-03/1287_4930.shtml, can i still use it or i need to change it? The power supply is a seasonic 620 w bronze, the name is in the first post.

Also, i think ill go for the ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 DUAL EVO - since I don't wanna have problems with the AMD side, all the review from newegg and amazon looks really bad when it comes to the 5700xt, and because my 970 was really good never had a blue screen or high temp or anything bad with her, i think i 'll stay with nvidia just because i dont wanna return and have problems with the a new gpu, also i don't wanna install other bios or stuff like this, i want the GPU to work properly from the start without any tricks or workarounds, but that's just me, also i can throw the extra cash for the 2070, with all of this being said, is that rtx asus 2070 any good in terms of fans and heating?

I do think you're paying more money for less performance with a 2070 but yes the Asus is a decent enough card.

Regarding the psu, it's enough, it's solid quality.

The only issues I have are that it's an old group regulated design and I have nonidea how old it is or how much use its had.

Its not a model I'd personally buy nowadays but it will do the job fine if its in decent condition.

Jul 20, 2020
I do think you're paying more money for less performance with a 2070 but yes the Asus is a decent enough card.

Regarding the psu, it's enough, it's solid quality.

The only issues I have are that it's an old group regulated design and I have nonidea how old it is or how much use its had.

Its not a model I'd personally buy nowadays but it will do the job fine if its in decent condition.

the power supply its in decent condition i think, i mean i never had any problem with her and with 970 and i5 i dont think he was running under pressure or anything no? By the way if the 2070 is not the best deal what nvidia should i get ? maybe i can buy some parts from this store and choose another store only for the gpu like someone above pointed out. Thanks again for the info.

jwcrellin

Reputable
RTX is a cool technology even if all you play is minecraft. It does hit fps pretty hard but it's still nice to have the option to turn it on if you want. With my 1070 I don't even have the option, that's why i'm skipping the 2000 gen and getting an RTX 3000 when they drop this fall. Personally, I would get a lower tier card than the 2070. I'd get the 2060 KO or something but keep saving my money for that next upgrade. For me it becomes an ever present itch that doesn't go away for long after I scratch it.

Jul 20, 2020
Update - i'll go for i7 10700 and ASUS PRIME Z490-P, some 3200mhz 16 gb ram, an WD m2 ssd 500gb and also a new case, I know is not the best pick with the intel i7 but for what I'm gonna do on this pc is more than enough to keep me going like maybe 3-5 years. I decided to wait for the new nvidia 30xx cards that will come this year i think, ill have a look over the 3070 if the price is not that high.

Thanks for all the info and also for your time guys, if you guys wanna add something, please do.