Question Need help upgrading my PC on a budget

Nov 16, 2020
Hey guys! So I was planning on upgrading my PC once I had more money set aside but unfortunately, one of my PCIe 16x slots ripped right out of my MOBO. My GPU was sagging and it ripped the plastic casing out in the corner. When I removed the GPU it took the whole plastic piece right off the mobo and exposed the metal prongs.

My PC still turns, but none of the PCIe slots register my GPU. I plugged the GPU into another PC and it worked just fine.

Anyhow, with a 1000 dollar budget how good of a setup can I get to run an RTX 3060?

I'm looking to get a new MOBO and CPU. I imagine ill probably have to upgrade from DDR3 to DDR4 as well. I'm open to all suggestions! This kind of blows because i was hoping to build a PC that will last me the next 5+ years. Now I'm forced to make do on a small budget. If I can manage to run an RTX 3060 though id be quite happy.

From what iv seen on Amazon I can get MOBO's ranging from $200-300. The CPU looks like the biggest expense, especially if I got a board the supports a 10th gen i7. Anyhow, what are you guys' thoughts?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
For clarity:

Is the $1000 budget WITH the 3060 (and do we have pricing for that yet), or in ADDITION to the desired GPU?

A grand is a nice budget for a new system. Is any of the old build going to be reusable? Drives, PSU, current GPU, case?

Nov 16, 2020
For clarity:

Is the $1000 budget WITH the 3060 (and do we have pricing for that yet), or in ADDITION to the desired GPU?

A grand is a nice budget for a new system. Is any of the old build going to be reusable? Drives, PSU, current GPU, case?

I'm going to pick up the 3060 closer to Christmas, so it won't be included in the budget. I'll be reusing my GTX 980, Case, and PSU with the upgrades. I'd like to swap out my MOBO and GPU with the $1000 budget as well as the RAM if the upgraded MOBO calls for it. Do you think I can swap those 3 things out with $1000 and have them manage an RTX 3060?

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The only aspect of that I would keep close consideration on would be to (maybe) keep $100 or so around for a new Win 10 license according to current.

$1000 for a Motherboard/CPU/RAM (even $900) puts you in really comfortable territory and could consider just about anything up to R7/i7, 16-32GB of RAM, and a decent to even nice mobo. You might even squeeze a "9" in there for that.

Nov 16, 2020
The only aspect of that I would keep close consideration on would be to (maybe) keep $100 or so around for a new Win 10 license according to current.

$1000 for a Motherboard/CPU/RAM (even $900) puts you in really comfortable territory and could consider just about anything up to R7/i7, 16-32GB of RAM, and a decent to even nice mobo. You might even squeeze a "9" in there for that.

How does this sound?
MSI Z390-A PRO - CDN$ 183.98
Core i7-9700K - CDN$ 349.99
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB - CDN$ 94.99

Total before taxes will be $639. I can afford to get a mobo between 180-250. Do you have a recommendation that would be better than the MSI Z390-A PRO between 180 and 250?