Question Need help upgrading my pc or changing!

Mar 28, 2020
Hi All! Finally getting back into my PC gaming since having more time..

Just some questions, basically my current Pc in looking at upgrading since it’s seriously starting to struggle to hit a decent FPS.. basically just after some advice on it to upgrade my current pc and maybe if you could advise what to do or to just sell and start fresh.. Like do I keep the i5 and over clock or change process etc.. not got a clue what to do sorry to be so vague.. ask as many questions as you like.. specs below:

I5-4690k + stock cooler.. Motherboard is incorrect for the CPU So I cannot overclock unless I change it... 16gb DDR3 RAM R9 280 1tb hardrive 250gb ssd can’t believe how much these have dropped in price.
seen a good deal on a refurbished rx570/580..

Thanks in advance hope I get some good info! You guys are the best to ask!!

Your GPU is definitely your limiting factor. But we need to know your budget, country, and what make/ model/ wattage of your power supply.

What monitor do you have?

Sucks you don't have a Z series board. My brother is using an i5-4690K and just OCd for the first time 2 days ago. He's running at 4.5GHz all-core.

Reactions: Trofufle

vov4ik_il

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
Devils’ Canyon is not a bad CPU for its time, but any recent one will beat it easy. R9 280 is old too.
A set of i3 9100f with 16G DDR4 and cheap 300 series board should be around 200$. Used GTX 1060 is probably another 200.

Reactions: Trofufle
Mar 28, 2020
Your GPU is definitely your limiting factor. But we need to know your budget, country, and what make/ model/ wattage of your power supply.

What monitor do you have?

Sucks you don't have a Z series board. My brother is using an i5-4690K and just OCd for the first time 2 days ago. He's running at 4.5GHz all-core.
Thanks for the response!

Not really sure on the budget to be honest was thinking around £300 if possible and try to change as little as possible. Was thinking i could just buy a graphics card and then overclock but then found out about the motherboard issue.. So i'm currently thinking buy a 1660 super change the motherboard and cpu cooler and then overclock. What do you think?

From the UK and PSU is Corsair CX500M.

Monitor: Dell S2418H 24"

Thanks

vov4ik_il

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
I am not sure for pounds (I am in the US), but see what would you pay for this set in where you are. Also, specify which PSU do you have. You can omit the NVMe if it takes you out of the budget.

In SOME games, the current CPU could limit frame rates past a certain amount. In others, it won't make any difference.

With a 1660 Super, you'll definitely be able to run most/all games at max settings for 1080p gaming.

vov4ik_il

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
In SOME games, the current CPU could limit frame rates past a certain amount. In others, it won't make any difference.

With a 1660 Super, you'll definitely be able to run most/all games at max settings for 1080p gaming.
There is a nice online calculator. It is not spot on but gives you a rough idea.

Here is our case - https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/compare/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-super-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-super/intel-core-i5-4690k-3-50ghz-vs-intel-core-i3-9100f-3-60ghz/high/high/-vs-

Mar 28, 2020
Thanks for all the info. My power supply: PSU is Corsair CX500M.
Looking at that link you have sent me it wouldn't be worth changing the Processor since there isnt much difference at all. I would probably be best to find a used motherboard and overclock my current one.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS