Question Need help upgrading my proccesor

Apr 20, 2019
Hey, i bought a prebuild gaming pc and i need help upgrading my cpu (Trying to record heavily cpu based games like minecraft in high fps like 240)

But i ran into a issue when trying to see if i can find any compatible cpu's, i use the program speccy to check what motherboard i have and i can't find the motherboard online.

Here are my specs
Intel Core i5 6400 @ 2.70GHz
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
MEDION B150H4-EM (U3E1) (motherboard)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (MSI) (graphic card)

if anyone here recognizes this motherboard or somehow can figure out what cpu's are compatible with this pls let me know.

I got a suggestion from my friend that if i were to upgrade to a i7 7700k, i should be able to record in high fps like 240 in cpu based games so if anyone here can link me a i7 that is compatible with the motherboard i have please let me know.

and i have a 450wats power supply, is that enough for these specs?

Thank you for helping!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Just being curious, I searched the Medion website and found exactly zero helpful items.

In theory, since you are on a 6th gen processor now, you (may) be able to upgrade to a 6th gen i7. Hard to say without more info on what TDP that mobo can support.

Might look to see if you can find a used i7 6700 on the bay or the like. I am not sure I would buy new.

Apr 20, 2019
Just being curious, I searched the Medion website and found exactly zero helpful items.

In theory, since you are on a 6th gen processor now, you (may) be able to upgrade to a 6th gen i7. Hard to say without more info on what TDP that mobo can support.

Might look to see if you can find a used i7 6700 on the bay or the like. I am not sure I would buy new.
So u reckon that a i7 6700 would be compatible with my motherboard? and why shouldn't i buy a new one whats better about a used one? ty for your help

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
cost

Without knowing more about the prebuilt you have it may be a gamble that the i7 will work in the current mobo.
Traditionally, Intel pricing is such that if you buy anything from 4th to 8th gen the processor itself is going to cost nearly the same. If you are looking at spending $300-ish on a processor it really just makes sense to look at something new, and to be able to select your parts a features you want to go with, new as well.

TBH, I would likely research a bit more to see if you can find a model number or other information that will tell you for sure what support you have for changing parts. But, in the instance that you just want to "try" buying used would save money.

Apr 20, 2019
cost

Without knowing more about the prebuilt you have it may be a gamble that the i7 will work in the current mobo.
Traditionally, Intel pricing is such that if you buy anything from 4th to 8th gen the processor itself is going to cost nearly the same. If you are looking at spending $300-ish on a processor it really just makes sense to look at something new, and to be able to select your parts a features you want to go with, new as well.

TBH, I would likely research a bit more to see if you can find a model number or other information that will tell you for sure what support you have for changing parts. But, in the instance that you just want to "try" buying used would save money.
Alright thank you for your help!