[SOLVED] Need help upgrading rig to a good VR rig for valve index

Sep 29, 2019
I'm very new to PC building but I'm trying to upgrade my PC into a decent VR rig for valves index. I wanna try and keep as many parts of my old rig as possible so I don't spend a ridiculous amount of money. I know I am going to have to upgrade my GPU but I am not sure if decent VR GPU'S will be compatible with my motherboard. Also if I had to upgrade my motherboard then I'm wondering If all this will even ft in my case or if my power supply is to weak. These are my current specs If somebody can help me find the right components I need to do this that would be awesome. Or if you think its better I just build a new PC then let me know please.

Windows 10 os
nvidia geforce gtx 970
i5-4790k
16gb of ram
MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Solution
Valve Index System Requirements:

OSWindows 10, SteamOS, Linux
RAM8 GB+
GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 970+ or AMD RX480+ Available DisplayPort required, HDMI not supported
CPUDual Core with hyperthreading, or better
USB3.0+ for headset cameras

Your system already meets the system requirements for Valve Index. I would try the unit with your current system to see how it performs. If you're not happy with the performance, THEN...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Valve Index System Requirements:

OSWindows 10, SteamOS, Linux
RAM8 GB+
GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 970+ or AMD RX480+ Available DisplayPort required, HDMI not supported
CPUDual Core with hyperthreading, or better
USB3.0+ for headset cameras

Your system already meets the system requirements for Valve Index. I would try the unit with your current system to see how it performs. If you're not happy with the performance, THEN check to see where your system is limiting you (CPU/Graphics) and decide what needs upgrading.

-Wolf sends

Solution
I'm very new to PC building but I'm trying to upgrade my PC into a decent VR rig for valves index. I wanna try and keep as many parts of my old rig as possible so I don't spend a ridiculous amount of money. I know I am going to have to upgrade my GPU but I am not sure if decent VR GPU'S will be compatible with my motherboard. Also if I had to upgrade my motherboard then I'm wondering If all this will even ft in my case or if my power supply is to weak. These are my current specs If somebody can help me find the right components I need to do this that would be awesome. Or if you think its better I just build a new PC then let me know please.

Windows 10 os
nvidia geforce gtx 970
i5-4790k
16gb of ram
MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

You're kind of in iffy territory with the processor. But when you are talking high resolutions, the GPU tends to be what is holding you back more. I would dump as much money as you can into an NVIDIA RTX card and make sure your PSU will support it. The recommended PSU is written on every spec sheet for every aib video card sold.