Need help upgrading

ZackShotX

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Hey hey!

I've got my hands on a hp Compaq dc5700 (small form factor) and i'd like to know some components to upgrade it to it's (atleast) full potential. Could y'all computer wizards and experts suggest some components like video cards, CPUs, motherboards, uhhhh ram?

As you may tell I'm not a computer god like you guys are, so I'd be very thankful if you'd help me out here.

Once again,
Thank you

theraptor

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

Haha! If you search around a little, you're going to find a lot of people giving a lot of useless answers. Many of them don't even care about the actual question, they just say, "trash that thing." I also have a dc5700, which I've been looking to upgrade. So, from my research I can tell several things so far:
1)It cannot support quad core processors or Xeons and stuff.
2)There's a lot of confusion about what it can support.
When I got the dc5700, It was running XP. Now it runs Windows 10 and has 2 gb of ram. Supposedly you can't put more than 4 gb in, but I believe you can. The processor is a Core 2 duo e6300. It's 64 bit and Windows is 64 bit so I'm assuming it can support more than four gigs.
So I would suggest putting 4-8 gigs in there, that would automatically improve performance by quite a bit. Graphics cards: options are super limited. That's why I'm looking into cpu upgrades right now. The motherboard has a pcie x16 slot, but it doesn't support conventional graphics cards. It also has two PCI slots, but graphics cards for those are super slow and expensive. It also has a pcie x1 slot. There are some options there but not many. As far as I understand, there are a few pcie x1 graphics cards available, so if you dig around on ebay you might be able to find a couple. However, the power supply unit doesn't have anything extra by way of connectors, so the graphics card would have to not use anything but the pcie x1 slot for power. Another thing is that it'd have to be a low-profile graphics card because of the limited space in the case. Processor upgrades: I've been doing a crazy amount of research into processor upgrades. Like I said before, no quad core. But I think dual core stuff is up for grabs. I'm currently looking into the Core 2 Extreme X6800. Good luck with your search! I'll post here when I make any more headway with mine. I think I could put the Extreme in there with 8 gigs of ram, and that would make for a pretty nice upgrade. The one problem I see at this point is not compatibility, but how much heat the Extreme produces as apposed to the e6300.

TRENDING THREADS