[SOLVED] Need help upgrading

alexc24

Commendable
Apr 1, 2018
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Quadstellar-100-Core
Hi I am currently using the pc in the link provided except I switched out the graphics card for a 1080 ti and the power supply for a rm650x it runs great but I feel I can push this a little further without getting bankrupt I was thinking about switching out maybe the motherboard and processor or maybe just the ram if i were to do that would I need to change the two things i changed or should those still work I am not a tech guru btw

Solution
Ok, so if you wanted to upgrade your CPU, you would have a few options.

i7-8700

i7-8700k

i7-9700k

i9-9900k

For anything accept for the 8700 and 8700k you would need to update your bios to the latest version for them to work. Not a big deal, but honestly the 8700k is probably the only upgrade that makes a lot of sense based on cost and performance.

For the M.2 PCI drives, there are a number of them out there right now that are fairly decent, but the 970 EVO is the model that you probably want to go with as it exceeds the performance of any other consumer M.2 SSD on the market aside from the 970 Pro. What size of 970 EVO or Pro you go with is of course up to you based on how large you actually need the OS drive to be and what your...
About the only thing on there I see that might even somewhat offer you some performance advantages might be upgrading to an NVME PCI M.2 drive for the operating system or upgrading the CPU to an i7 model.

Honestly, there is very little not to like about what you have especially since you've already upgraded to a much better graphics card and power supply.

Changing motherboards isn't going to increase your performance in any way and neither is adding memory, at least, not for 99.9% of games and mainstream applications.

If you do a LOT of VERY heavy multitasking, MAYBE adding another 16GB of RAM might have some benefit to you especially if you play seriously demanding games with 16GB memory recommendations AND you are also multitasking with overlays, recording software and streaming processes alongside it. Maybe.

Honestly though, there isn't a lot aside from a higher end CPU or faster storage that is going to actually be "felt".

alexc24

Commendable
Apr 1, 2018

hi thank you for the reply may i ask for some recommendations because i cant tell what the difference is betweeen the CPUs and the NVME PCI M.2 drives

Ok, so if you wanted to upgrade your CPU, you would have a few options.

i7-8700

i7-8700k

i7-9700k

i9-9900k

For anything accept for the 8700 and 8700k you would need to update your bios to the latest version for them to work. Not a big deal, but honestly the 8700k is probably the only upgrade that makes a lot of sense based on cost and performance.

For the M.2 PCI drives, there are a number of them out there right now that are fairly decent, but the 970 EVO is the model that you probably want to go with as it exceeds the performance of any other consumer M.2 SSD on the market aside from the 970 Pro. What size of 970 EVO or Pro you go with is of course up to you based on how large you actually need the OS drive to be and what your budget allows.

Solution

Latest posts