Need help using Prime95

murnurf

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
Hi. I am going to use the prime95 program to test if my power supply or my cpu is fault as I am experiencing pc restarts with no blue screen while playing video games. I dont know how to use the program and cant find much about how to use it for my purpose. I have no overclocked anything I am just using it to test my cpu and power supply. What should I be using?, How long? and should I be using windows safe mode?

Download and run a 1-hour test of OCCT

At the end of the test a window will open with a series of charts depicting the volt delivery across the components in your system, and reveal any 'ripple' in the voltages ...

OCCT_2011-12-06-12h31-Volt12.png

murnurf

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015

murnurf

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015

Sorry weird last reply, would this ripple indicate some kind of hardware failure?

It looks as if your CPU utilization is bouncing between 80- to 100% with corresponding volt peaks and valleys. What this suggests is that your Turbo Core is working (presumably it is set on 'Auto'). This is both good (it's working) and could be bad (if it is throttling because of thermal issues). You have to make the call on the 'thermal' by simply monitoring your CPU temps under load.

Otherwise, this behavior is not out of the ordinary with your Turbo enabled. An individual core is clocked higher (up to 3.7GHz) with a volt bump --- while the voltage is dropped to other cores (and they are 'down-clocked'). This is what causes the 'waves' in your chart.

If you disable Turbo Core, the 'waves' (both CPU utilization and voltage) should flatten-out. If you encounter odd spikes in voltage this would reveal an issue with power delivery.

Also ... with your i5-2500K your should simply run 4 threads --- some of those 'waves' could potentially be driven by a phenomena known as 'core-hopping' as the threads bounce around your CPU.