Question Need help! What cpu would be Compatible with my current motherboard?

May 22, 2019
I want to upgrade my pc but I need help on what’s the highest cpu that my motherboard can support without having to buy another motherboard I’m thinking of upgrading to a i7-8700 if possible here are my current pc specs please let me know on what other cpu can work with my current set up
CPU- i5-7400 (1151 lga socket)
Motherboard- acer aspire tc 780a (chipset Kant lake not sure)
Ram- 8gb ddr4
Gpu- gtx 1060

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
The highest processor your board will allow is within the 7th Gen Intel series. If you want to move outside of that series to an 8th or even a 9th Gen processor, you're going to have to change the board. I'd advise against upgrading a prebuilt, if I were you.

Reactions: coastie65
There are two generations of LGA 1151 and the first is 100 and 200 series chipset motherboard, and the second is 300 series chipset motherboards. The first supports 6th and 7th-gen Intel CPUs, and the second supports 8th and 9th-gen CPUs. Sometimes a bios update is required for the 100 series or the 300 series chipsets. Your PC likely has an H110 chipset motherboard, but since you already have a 7th-gen i5 you likely won't need a bios update to support a 7th-gen i7.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019
The highest processor your board will allow is within the 7th Gen Intel series. If you want to move outside of that series to an 8th or even a 9th Gen processor, you're going to have to change the board. I'd advise against upgrading a prebuilt, if I were you.

Can you tell me what’s the highest cpu I can get with out having to upgrade my motherboard

May 22, 2019

Would a i7-7700k 7th gen work with my current motherboard

May 22, 2019
We need to know more about your motherboard. According to this the TC-780 has an H110 chipset, which typically supports i7-7700K with a bios update. Run Speccy and post a screenshot of it. You may host the image on imgur.com and share it here.
Do you need me to take a screen shot of the motherboard specs