Need help with 6 speaker setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarbrigger

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Have a new house with 3 sets of speakers in one room (probably a horrible design but room is fairly large) with 1 set in front, center and rear. Is there a way to hook up all 6 speakers to play together through Onkyo TX-NR656? Any help to a stereo idiot is appreciated.

Solution
If the receiver has an auto set up don't use it.
Connect the front pair to the front speaker terminals.
Connect the middle pair to the surround speaker terminals.
Connect the rear pair to the rear surround speaker terminals.
Set up the receiver for 6.0 operation in the speaker set up menu. Set the front, surround and surround rear speakers to large & center and sub to none.
Set the speaker levels all at the same 0 setting since you don't want surround sound but evenly distributed sound. That will probably be the default setting. The distance setttings should not matter.
Select the multi-channel stereo mode for each input so the receiver will play all the speakers in stereo.
If the receiver has an auto set up don't use it.
Connect the front pair to the front speaker terminals.
Connect the middle pair to the surround speaker terminals.
Connect the rear pair to the rear surround speaker terminals.
Set up the receiver for 6.0 operation in the speaker set up menu. Set the front, surround and surround rear speakers to large & center and sub to none.
Set the speaker levels all at the same 0 setting since you don't want surround sound but evenly distributed sound. That will probably be the default setting. The distance setttings should not matter.
Select the multi-channel stereo mode for each input so the receiver will play all the speakers in stereo.

Solution

jarbrigger

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
I got the 6 speaker set up done and it sounds pretty good. It seems like the front speakers are projecting louder than the rest, but hopefully I can adjust the sound by tweaking them.

Another question came up as I have the 6 speakers set up as mentioned but also have a 4th pair of speakers for another room wired to the "zone 2" ports in the back. But I can't get the speakers in the additional room to play. When I click the zone 2 button, it switches the system to be 4 speakers in the main room and I was thinking it needed to do that to play the additional pair...but no sound. Any thoughts on how I can correct that issue? I'd love to have all 4 sets of speakers playing. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.