Need help with a budget gaming build [First time]

Corprive

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
Hi everyone,
So the laptop I bought three years ago is starting to get obsolete and I thought that building a new desktop computer is the way to go now.
I'm looking for a computer that would be able to run the games that will be released during the next two years in high quality, especially the upcoming MMORPG "Everquest Next". Also I will be using two high definition monitors most of the time and I also plan on doing some amateur 3d designing. I don't plan to overclock.

I found this build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ($80)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core ($120)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz ($76)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SuperClocked 2GB ($196)

Hard Drive: WD Blue 1 TB ($60)

Case: Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid Tower ($50)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX 500 Watt ($50)

Would this be able to meet everything I'm asking for?
Would a "MSI R9 280 Gaming 3GB GDDR5" graphics card give better performance for the money?

PD: I found the build at http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/gaming-desktop-computer.html

Thanks.

Solution
The 280 would give better performance yes. If you can afford it I'd change the power supply to an XFX 550W model as they're much better built.

Corprive

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
Picking an SSD would be worth it?
Should I change the power supply as plywrlw said?
Should I put a sound card there if I want high quality audio?
When asking for recommendations about buying a monitor should I put them there or start a new threat?

Corprive

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
When I started this thread I had a budget of 600-700$ but now it increased to 800$. So I thought I may change my build to something better:

Motherboard: Asrock Z97 Pro4
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4Ghz
GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Blue DDR3 2133 8GB 2x4GB CL9
Case: AeroCool GT Advance
PSU: Corsair VS650 650W
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB
Cooling:
- Cooler Master Hyper 412S CPU Cooler
- Arctic Silver Ceramique2 2.7gr
- Nox Serie NX12cm
SSD: An SSD that costs ~50$.

What do you think about this build?
Is it worth the investment?
During how many years will this be able to run games on high settings?

Thanks

Corprive

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
If I overclock the graphics card and the Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4Ghz to 4.2Ghz full time (24/7) only shutting it down to give it a clean every several months, how much will this reduce the total useful lifespan of the PC? How many years will this PC be useful for gaming if I maintain this overclock?
With the features I'm looking for:

- Handle dual HD monitors without lagging
- A minimum of two years of being able to play the upcoming games in high quality
- Amateur 3D designing

which build would you make?

I read that the SSD is worth buying it for the speed boost while booting up the PC but that extra speed isn't very noticeable with games or programs put in the SSD. Is it worth having an SSD if I will be running the PC 24/7 and I won't boot it up?