[SOLVED] Need help with a build

Lucaz_70

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
I need help making a build for the family, I have a budget of $1700 AUD for 4 kids, 2 on gaming, one wants to be able to stream and play VR games, 1 wants to video edit and the last one is just basic overall. Personally i rather Ryzen for a CPU and i would much rather a NVIDIA GPU instead of an AMD one. Id really like it to last a while, Id much rather have 2 upgrade the CPU before the GPU, because the GPU costs alot more than the CPU

Solution
Nah im asking for 1 that can do a bunch of things, my biggest worry is the graphic cards, I just feel like its not too great, ive been able to build some myself with 1070-1080 with $1400 maybe something a bit better if able 2, cheap out on the secondary storage and case?
I don't blame you. Electronics are pricey in Australia.
But in the case of yourself and the 4 kids, you need the extra storage. I've gone and edited my original list to reflect that.

I've also changed to a cheaper case.
Forewarning: A cheaper case may not always be cheaper. You pay in terms of fan quality, number of fans, and other little case features(these won't matter as much).

The cheaper storage and case allowed for enough room to bump it up a notch to an...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, unfortunately, it's the gpus that get replaced more frequently. Cpus have a longer... 'use by date'. It has to do with the progression of the tech. Cpus have not progressed as quickly as gpus.
Intel is stupid expensive in Australia, so I have no problem recommending Ryzen.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.39 @ Amazon Australia)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($155.70 @ Amazon Australia)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.27 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($171.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Toshiba P300 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB MINI ITX OC Video Card ($529.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.00 @ BudgetPC)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($96.90 @ Shopping Express)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($149.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $1680.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-07 01:59 AEST+1000

Let me know if I forgot anything, I can make adjustments as needed.

EDIT:
so you want in total 4 PC
2x gaming
1x video editing
1x basic

Is your budget including peripherals? with this budget, you won't be able to able to get 4 pc, maybe 2 low end alright gaming pc.

one gaming cost $782.00 w/o peripherals and os

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/xQLGmq
OP was asking for more than one?
Guess I misread the initial post. Ah well, I go ahead and post my suggestion anyway...

Last edited:

Kastytis

Prominent
Jul 3, 2019
Don't think so, think the one pc needs to cover all wishes.
That is one way of making the budget work but if you have 4 kids IMO you need at least 2 different PCs otherwise you have to enforce a schedule at what times the kids can go to the PC and you can bet that they won't be too happy about that and might fight over it if they are anything like me and my sister were.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't think so, think the one pc needs to cover all wishes.

Are two ssd's really necessary? For the price of the 500gb ssd can you get a 2tb hdd.With 4 kids maybe good to have some extra storage.
No, they aren't. I don't see the need to use them anymore now that SSDs are more affordable...

Ah hell, I'm just throwing my ideals on someone at this point. HDDs are still ok to use... I think?

Lucaz_70

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Well, unfortunately, it's the gpus that get replaced more frequently. Cpus have a longer... 'use by date'. It has to do with the progression of the tech. Cpus have not progressed as quickly as gpus.
Intel is stupid expensive in Australia, so I have no problem recommending Ryzen.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($379.00 @ Amazon Australia)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($132.40 @ Amazon Australia)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($112.54 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.50 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.00 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($359.00 @ Scorptec)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($132.00 @ Shopping Express)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($96.90 @ Shopping Express)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($136.00 @ Amazon Australia)
Total: $1605.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-01 17:20 AEST+1000

Let me know if I forgot anything, I can make adjustments as needed.

EDIT:

OP was asking for more than one?
Guess I misread the initial post. Ah well, I go ahead and post my suggestion anyway...

Nah im asking for 1 that can do a bunch of things, my biggest worry is the graphic cards, I just feel like its not too great, ive been able to build some myself with 1070-1080 with $1400 maybe something a bit better if able 2, cheap out on the secondary storage and case?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't blame you. Electronics are pricey in Australia.
But in the case of yourself and the 4 kids, you need the extra storage. I've gone and edited my original list to reflect that.

I've also changed to a cheaper case.
Forewarning: A cheaper case may not always be cheaper. You pay in terms of fan quality, number of fans, and other little case features(these won't matter as much).

The cheaper storage and case allowed for enough room to bump it up a notch to an RTX 2060.

Solution