Question Need help with a fan setup

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Hi everybody I have 23 - 4pin fans for my new build. I have 23 pieces Noctua NA-SRC7 - Fan adapter silencer - 4-pin PWM (male) for 4-pin PWM (female).. . And I have 5 pieces Adapter split cable for 4-pin fans, from 1-5

Here is the 5 split Why is there a power cable aswell, is it because it needs power to deliver it to the 5 fan connectors?

here is the noise adapter

After can i connect these splitters in to one hub? And the power wont be affected and i can lower and increase the speed with all fans with just one hub? Any ideas would be appreciated,

Last edited:
Your splitter has one connector that goes onto a motherboard fan header. The only wire on that connector is for PWM control. Therefore, you can control the speed of all five fans on that splitter. Because the power comes directly from the power supply, you don’t have to worry about too much current going through the fan header.

The fan silencer is just a resistor that decreases the power to each fan. If you can get your fans to a decent sound level through motherboard control, I would not use them.

23 fans ... that’s a lot of fans.

Do you have five PWM (4pin) fan headers on your motherboard?

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Damn man i really thought i could use these in a hub, how else will i be able to connect all these fans if i dont have have five pwm headers on my mother board, thanks for clearing up alot of things for me man. I will now check if i got them on mobo

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Your splitter has one connector that goes onto a motherboard fan header. The only wire on that connector is for PWM control. Therefore, you can control the speed of all five fans on that splitter. Because the power comes directly from the power supply, you don’t have to worry about too much current going through the fan header.

The fan silencer is just a resistor that decreases the power to each fan. If you can get your fans to a decent sound level through motherboard control, I would not use them.

23 fans ... that’s a lot of fans.

Do you have five PWM (4pin) fan headers on your motherboard?

This is straight from my mobo, i think i have 5, would you say there is 5 five, thank you gentlemen

Last edited:
It’s not that you can’t use a hub, instead, the issue is that the hub may not give you the control that you want. Your motherboard does have a lot of fan headers. How useful they would be depends on how much control you have over fan speed in your bios/software.

It’s possible that in the end you will go with a combination of fan headers and a hub. I expect you will just need to experiment and see what works best for your set up.

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
It’s not that you can’t use a hub, instead, the issue is that the hub may not give you the control that you want. Your motherboard does have a lot of fan headers. How useful they would be depends on how much control you have over fan speed in your bios/software.

It’s possible that in the end you will go with a combination of fan headers and a hub. I expect you will just need to experiment and see what works best for your set up.

Dear Drew, thank you so much this is really a stopping stone in my build since im not sure how to take it from here... Well if i cant control the fans from the hub. I cant use the noctua noise adapter that decreases it's power if i dont need all the power on my fans.,

Fans are one of those items where you have have to tinker to figure out how many and how fast they spin to get the right balance between temperature and loudness. I prefer motherboard control because it normally ramps up speed as temperatures rise. Hubs generally only have manual control (ie .. high,medium, low). You have picked very high quality hardware ... now you get to do the fun part (in my opinion) of playing with it to find the optimal settings. Fortunately you have lots of options to help you find that perfect balance.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, post back here the maker and exact model number of your mobo, so we can look at its fan headers and their options in detail. ALSO tell us exactly what make and model of FANS you have - and, if more than one type, how many of each type.

Now, some background to help you understand. Almost all fan headers on a mobo have options to do automatic control of their fan speeds. They really are TEMPERATURE control systems that monitor the temperature actually measured by a sensor and manipulate the speed of their fan to keep that temperature at the proper level as your workload (and heat generation) changes. All mobos have two basic types of such headers. One is solely for cooling the CPU chip, and it always uses the sensor built into the CPU itself and fed out on a pin. These headers on your board are the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT ones. Your mobo also has a W_PUMP+ header intended mainly to power a water pump in a liquid cooling system, but able to be re-configured for other purposes. Then the mobo has several CHA_FAN headers intended to power and control the case ventilation fans. They normally use a sensor built into the mobo at a suitable location. SOME mobos also have additional temp sensors near certain mobo components like the North Bridge chip or the Voltage Regulator section, and these may be chosen as an option IF you are placing a fan to blow on that particular mobo component. Your mobo also has a special 5-pin header called EXT_FAN. It cannot be used directly for fans. BUT you CAN buy an extra optional little board to plug into this that provides several additional fan headers also controlled by the mobo, and that may be of great use to you.

EACH fan header can power and control one fan, or more than one if you use either a Splitter or a Hub. Normally each header can provide up to 1.0 A current max to all the fans plugged into it, so in using a Splitter you MUST find the fans' specs for max current and ensure they are not exceeded. Your mobo has one unusual header called H_AMP which can supply up to 3 Amps.

A SPLITTER is a simple device that simply connects all the fans in parallel to the mobo header pins, so all the power for the fans comes from that header and is subject to the current limit. Splitters tend to look like a collection of "arms" of two different types. ONE of them ends in a female (with holes) connector that plugs into the mobo header, and the others end in male connectors for plugging in fans. There are also Splitters that look like small circuit boards. A HUB is a different device that has a third type of "arm" that must plug into a SATA or 4-pin Molex power output connector from the PSU. It gets power for all its fans directly from the PSU this way, and thus avoids the current limit of the mobo header. But it gets the fan speed control signals from a mobo CHA_FAN header and shares that out to all its fans without overloading the header. Because of fan design factors, HUBS only work when you connect them to a 4-pin CHA_FAN header that is using the newer PWM Mode as its method of controlling fan speeds, AND only work with 4-pin fans. A Hub may look like a collection of arms, a circuit board, or a closed box with ports along its sides. The item you show as your "Splitter" actually is a HUB that looks like several "arms". NOTE that it has ONE input arm with a female connector for plugging into a mobo header, ONE arm with a wide Molex 4-pin male connector to connect to your PSU for power, and five male output arms for fans.

Most fans generate a speed signal as a series of pulses that is sent back to the mobo header on Pin #3. The header counts those pulses to display speed, BUT it can only deal with the pulse train coming from ONE fan. So any Splitter or Hub will send back to its header only ONE fan's speed, and there's a common easy way they do this. Look closely at the five output arms of your Hubs units. You will find that only ONE of them has all 4 pins in it, and the other four are each missing Pin #3. This has NO impact on the ability to control fan speeds. BUT it does have another effect. A secondary function of each mobo fan header is to monitor the fan speed signals for FAILURE of each fan. But when you use a Splitter or Hub, several of the fans do NOT send back their signals and the mobo has no way to monitor them for failed speed signals. So it is up to YOU from time to time to check that all your fans are still working.

With that background, we look at your situation with 23 fans and five Hubs. First item is the fan count. Do you have 23 CASE vent fans, PLUS other fans for CPU cooling? Or, does the 23 count include a certain number for the CPU, because those are handled separately. For the moment I will assume 23 case fans. To connect them to your mobo you have some options, but a few of them are not known until you tell us what mobo you have. You have three standard 4-pin CHA_FAN headers. You have a special H_AMP fan header that can be used just like a normal header without taking advantage of it higher current feature, so that's 4 available so far. Then you have the CPU_OPT header. That one MAY provide the last one needed, but maybe not. All CPU_FAN headers use only the CPU's internal temp sensor, and that is not suitable for guiding case ventilation fans. But on some mobos for the CPU_OPT header IF you are not using it for CPU cooling functions you have an option to tell it to use the mobo temp sensor, and connect case vent fans to it. IF that's your situation if can be the fifth header you need. The other option MAY be to use the W_PUMP header IF you are not using it for a water pump, depending on whether its configuration options allow it to be used for case vent fans. If not, you have two other options. One would be to buy that special added fan controller board that plugs into the EXT_FAN header and gives you more fan headers to use. The other is to "stack" a couple of those Hub units. That is, you plug four of them into mobo headers. Then you plug the last one into one of the outputs of another Hub unit. That uses up one output to be converted to five, and you end up with 24 fan outputs for your fans. But since all these Hubs get their power from the PSU via their Molex connections, there is no power overload.

Now, the Noctua Low Noise Adapters. They are simply resistors that reduce the voltage supplied to the fan, thus reducing it speed, noise and air flow. They are useful only if you have to connect your fan(s) directly to a fixed 12 VDC power supply from the PSU with NO means of fan speed control. But if you have all your fans plugged into mobo headers that DO exercise speed control, as you plan, what these adapters do is significantly limit the max speed (and cooling) of your fans and hence are a real problem when your system is at max workload and needs max cooling. At lower workloads the mobo automatic temperature control systems will reduce the fan speeds and hence their noise, so you do NOT need to use those Low Noise Adapters at all!