Need help with a few OS questions.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey Tech Authorities,

I'll give you the details, and hopefully you guys can help me figure out what would be the best way to go about this.

I have a 640GB WD HDD that has my full retail copy of Windows 7 Pro installed on it.

I have an OEM copy of windows 7 home.

I have a 1TB Samsung HDD and a 128GB SSD to be used in a new build.

I'd like to get all the programs, files, and bookmarks off the old WD HDD and onto the new Samsung 1TB HDD. (Except for whichever OS we decide on which will go on a 128GB SSD)

I have a 3TB external HDD.

I'd like to put my full retail windows 7 pro on my new PC and switch my old PC to the Home version. What is the easiest/best way to do this? Would it be way more difficult than just putting the Home version on the new PC? If I did put the Home OEM Windows 7 on the new PC, could I reformat the SSD to be blank if I decided to sell the new PC? If I can reformat the SSD if I sell it, could I reuse the Home OEM Windows 7 on a different build, or would it be registered or something to the new PC (the one being sold)?

Thanks guys,
-TG

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Either way... if you have a windows 7 pro as long as you call Windows you can re-use that serial. Explain to them that you are switching Hdd's and that old licence is no longer needed.

I would get all your data file's... like WoW, Music, pictures, photo's, video's ect... and put it on the 1Tb and then delete that data from your 640GB and then GHOST that OS (Including programs) onto the SSD. this will give you your data on your 1TB and your OS on your SSD (Recommended for better gaming performance). But you will have to call Microsoft to re-activate the product.

I wouldn't recommend going to Windows-Home, because that means you will have to complete a fresh install.. ect which is a pain. Plus pro give you heaps more, and keep the home edition as a spare or sell it :)

Thats what I would do. Goodluck.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I still want to be able to use the old PC. I'm passing it down to my girl so we can both play games at the same time. So, I NEED to have 2 copies of Windows don't I? I don't think I can have the same copy on 2 different PCs at the same time...at least that's what I've read/been told.

I also read/heard that you aren't supposed to copy over an OS from 1 drive to another because of compatibility issues or something? Your old drive will be tied to all your old components or something and will not work properly with all your new components? I'm not sure I got that straight, but I heard something along those lines.

Thanks,
-TG

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
"I still want to be able to use the old PC."

Ohh, sorry, I sped through that. In that case... after you have done the Ghost I would complete a fresh install of Home on the 640 (Or what ever Hdd she is getting) and configure the drive with the computer after.

"aren't supposed to copy over an OS from 1 drive to another"

I thought you were getting the same Pc which currently has the 640 GB. If you are changing hardware... then yes you will have to complete a fresh install.

> If you are just changing drives and want to keep all you programs/Jazz do a Ghost... if you a changing Hardware complete a fresh install<

hydroment

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Acronis True Image can do a complete and full backup of your system to a .tib file. This can be reinstalled to a different computer. This is one of the things the app was made for. The .tib file of a windows 7 system is also bootable in the event of a system failure i.e the HD crashes. Drop in the bootable CD rom and point to the windows 7 .tib file and you are backup and operating in minutes. This is probably the most straight forward way to pickup and move a deployed system. As stated above, you will have to to reactivate the OS with MS, and also may need to boot into safe mode to configure new drivers for the new home of the OS.

regards

hydroment

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

The acronis true image software will actually relocate or allow you to virtualize a copy of xp home. XP home is one of the worst to ever have to do anything with.

Just an FYI

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Is Acronis True Image a free program? Do you burn it onto a disk and then use that disk to boot-up/install the whole OS+programs+settings (all your bookmarks from Firefox)?

How/when would you choose safe mode? I'm not going to destroy anything in the new build by doing it this way will I?

TRENDING THREADS