[SOLVED] Need help with a gtx 1050 ti low profile

Jul 29, 2021
so i recently purchased a gigabyte gtx 1050 ti low profile off newegg refurbished and i had properly installed the video card it was in tight and not loose at all and i installed the latest drivers and the latest windows update but for some reasons i would run into issues where my screen would black out for around 7 seconds and turn back on then have white flashes/screen glitches anyone got any ideas on what causes this or how to fix it?

Solution
If you previously had a graphics card in the computer make sure you completely cleaned the drivers out then reinstalled. Also make sure the temps at idle and under load are under maybe 50C/90C. I only mention idle because I'm assuming it blackscreens under load. If all is fine my guess would be you don't have enough power to power the GPU.

I come up with a recommended 260 watts of power for your system. 240 probably would be ok new, but that power supply is pushing 9 years old, so now probably significantly less.

I'm guessing everything works fine at idle or when web browsing, but then on anything GPU intensive that's when the problem starts?

I actually had to research this one. The motherboard has a weird, even for 6-pin...
Jul 29, 2021
What power supply and what is the rest of the specs on the computer?
psu from what i know is a 240 watt other than that i don't know the exact brand. but its a core i5 3470 16gbs ddr3 ram 500 wd hdd and a gtx 1050 ti low profile edition. which is the component im facing issues with as you know. the pc itself is a hp elite 8300 sff

If you previously had a graphics card in the computer make sure you completely cleaned the drivers out then reinstalled. Also make sure the temps at idle and under load are under maybe 50C/90C. I only mention idle because I'm assuming it blackscreens under load. If all is fine my guess would be you don't have enough power to power the GPU.

I come up with a recommended 260 watts of power for your system. 240 probably would be ok new, but that power supply is pushing 9 years old, so now probably significantly less.

I'm guessing everything works fine at idle or when web browsing, but then on anything GPU intensive that's when the problem starts?

I actually had to research this one. The motherboard has a weird, even for 6-pin connector, that would require not only a 24-pin to 6-pin adapter, but rewiring of it. The form factor is a very strange one, form factor CFX, so you would have to most likely house a new power supply outside the case.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...te-8300-SFF-psu-graphics-upgrade/td-p/5743592

Bottom line, this is one of the most proprietary and oddball motherboard and case combos ever made.

Me personally, I'd either sell it and buy a newer refurb with a full ATX case and 24 pin power supply connection on the motherboard OR
Source a used non-OEM 1155 motherboard, new full ATX case, new power supply, and when windows unregisters itself because of the new motherboard, call Microsoft and tell them the motherboard broke and give them the model/serial off your case and they'll give you the code to re-authenticate it.

Solution
Jul 29, 2021
i had a previous video card but i don't see the point in uninstalling the drivers for it as the nvidia driver installer automatically updates existing drivers. yes it is fine when it comes to web browsing etc.

but will have screen glitches or black screens for a few seconds. then again it was a "refurbished" video card so i just returned it to newegg and am just going to buy a brand new version of
the exact same card so i think it may have just been a bad gpu either that or somebody didn't do a very good job with cleaning it and making sure its in proper condition.