Need Help With a Monitor Issue

Canegor

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
Hey all, long time reader, but posting for the first time. I hope someone here can provide some fresh insight on how to solve my issue.

So, here is the background:
I'm using an Acer F-22 monitor that has served me well over the years. On Thursday morning I was using it with both my PC and Macbook Pro while preparing my computer for an upgrade. I picked up the new components (a new hard drive, GPU and chassis) and drove to with my PC to install the new components there. I've used a spare 19 inch monitor I had there to install windows 7 and setup my computer, and everything was working fine.

Once I got back home and plugged back my F-22 the screen started flickering (pulsating backlight mostly visible on gray surfaces). Then I decided to connect it wiht my Macbook Pro and the flicker was still there, although to a less extent. It also has a small line in the bottom center of the screen that looks like dead pixels.

I kinda figured it was a monitor issue and decided to get it serviced. I was lucky some of my friends are actually in the display servicing so I drove my monitor there and left it for checking. They were running it for 2 nights and did not see any issues. They even plugged my monitor to a computer there in front of my eyes and everything was working fine. I picked up my monitor yesterday morning, got back home, and the issue was still there.

My wife was kind to remind me that the last time I was switching my components resulted in the same issues (with flickering and the line) but somehow it got fixed on it's own or I just got lucky with something that I can't remember.

Since then, I've tried everything to resolve the problem myself:

Updated the graphic driver.
Installed the monitor driver.
Tried using both DVI and HDMI cables (bought brand new ones).
Turned off every appliance in the vicinity of the monitor.
Plugged it at different spots around my flat.

Here is my PC setup:

Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
Phenom II 955 Black Edition with a Noctua 16 cooler
Chieftec CFT-750-14S
Gigabyte 7850 OC, 2GB GDDR5 (Upgraded from Sapphire 5770)
Creative Recon3D
WD Black 1TB
WD Green 1TB
HAF 932 Advanced (upgraded from a Chieftec Aegis)

What I find confusing is that the flickering is happening on both my PC and Macbook Pro (but much less there), and it seems to work fine everywhere else where I take my monitor. I also can't comprehend that anything could have changed with the electricity within my household for such a short time without seeing any other issues.

This has been a very frustrating week, and I would welcome any insights and advice on what approaches I can take to resolve the issue.

Thank you all in advance.

Canegor

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

Yes, but with a different monitor. I did assemble it at my work, and it was working ok there.

Also, the switch to 75hz refresh rate seems to fix the problem, but it lowers my resolution significantly, which I do not see as a solution.

Canegor

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
I know it is not supposed to:) Was just saying to describe the issue a bit more. Ok, so the current situation - the flickering seems to diminish over time. It is still there but now hardly visible. I guess the lamps are at the end of their life cycle so they are acting up - can't find any other explanation.

Decided to go and buy a new monitor, just need to decide on the model, and keep the Acer around as a backup.

Outlander_04 - thanks mate for trying to help me out!

TRENDING THREADS