Test (DELETE ME)

D

Deleted member 2492493

Test

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You might even want to consider, overall, if the cost is even worth it. Depending on the age and the specs of the unit, it might even make a lot more sense to just replace the whole thing with something new. You can get a pretty capable notebook in the 350-450 dollar range depending on the use intended for the unit. Just a thought. I generally won't replace hardware on any notebook more than three years old. At that point, it's just not worth it anymore UNLESS I can find replacement hardware really cheap. If I can get a replacement board for 50-60 bucks on fleabay, then sometimes I'll do it. Otherwise, the money is better spent being put towards a newer product IMO.
I'd just take it, along with the parts, to an experienced electronics repair shop. They'd probably charge you like 50 bucks US to do the soldering. If you lack the experience to do this, based on your lack of the tools and the need to even ask I'm going to assume is accurate, then it's foolhardy to assume you can do this yourself even if you are very handy and above average intelligence.

It's not whether or not you "can", it's whether or not you "should". In this case, the answer is probably that it would be more reliable and likely cheaper to take it to a professional shop if you live somewhere where you have access to one.

D

Deleted member 2492493

I can wait until my mosfets arrive and bring it to him, then. Yes, micro soldering equipment is quite expensive.

Based upon what is being shown, do you think there are any other damaged components? Traces & fuses look good?

That's something that is VERY hard to say. Which is all the more reason to take it to a professional. They can, or should, be able to test the various traces to ensure you're not replacing something pointlessly. Honestly, it's a very rare occasion that anything aside from capacitors can be replaced when damaged and result in a successful repair. I'd give it a go if it was just a cap, because those can simply fail from age or excessive ripple, over time. Other components like the mosfets or other VRM components, usually don't fail unless something else is wrong or something gets shorted out.

Generally, when I encounter a board failure, the board gets replaced. Still, it may be worth taking to a tech for their opinion.

You might even want to consider, overall, if the cost is even worth it. Depending on the age and the specs of the unit, it might even make a lot more sense to just replace the whole thing with something new. You can get a pretty capable notebook in the 350-450 dollar range depending on the use intended for the unit. Just a thought. I generally won't replace hardware on any notebook more than three years old. At that point, it's just not worth it anymore UNLESS I can find replacement hardware really cheap. If I can get a replacement board for 50-60 bucks on fleabay, then sometimes I'll do it. Otherwise, the money is better spent being put towards a newer product IMO.

Solution