Build Advice Need help with a new build for 3D modelling/game engine work, and potentially some gaming (Budget $1000CAD)

kwarren21

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
Hey all, I posted earlier asking whether I could upgrade my geriatric system (posted below) but from the responses it seemed best that I dive into a new build instead. I'm on a bit of a budget with this so I'm hoping to use as much of what I have as possible (storage, RAM, case, etc)

Current Build:
CPU:
Intel core i7-2600k @3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 580
Board: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
PSU: Antec HCG-750W

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next month

Budget Range: $1000CAD (~800USD)

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
3d modelling work (Marvelous Designer, Unreal/Unity engines), gaming (I don't need to play the latest games on max or anything like that, just comfortable enough on recommended settings)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitors, peripherals etc. If I can save some dough by reusing any if not all of the following: PSU: Antec HCG-750W, RAM: 2x4GB, Case: Cooler Master HAF922 that would be awesome. I'm also pretty set on the hard drive front already

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca

Parts Preferences: none, just decent enough quality!

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Likely not

Additional Comments: Not too picky, as long as it gets the job done! That said if this can be done without maxing out my budget that would be fantastic, but I'd rather still have something that I can use for work for a few years without needing to upgrade constantly. If my budget is unrealistic, I'm open to a number that might work as well. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

kanewolf

Titan
This is how I would think of allocating cost in building a PC to keep it balanced and put money where it is important, like power supply.

You can use the CPU cost as "X"
GPU is probably 2X for a gaming build, 1-2X for a Productivity/Designer build
Motherboard about 2/3X
Memory 1/2X
SSD/HDD 1/2X for gaming, 1-2X for a Designer build
Case 1/2X
Cooling 1/2X
Power 1/2X
The OS is a fixed $100.

Build a spreadsheet.

kwarren21

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
This is how I would think of allocating cost in building a PC to keep it balanced and put money where it is important, like power supply.

You can use the CPU cost as "X"
GPU is probably 2X for a gaming build, 1-2X for a Productivity/Designer build
Motherboard about 2/3X
Memory 1/2X
SSD/HDD 1/2X for gaming, 1-2X for a Designer build
Case 1/2X
Cooling 1/2X
Power 1/2X
The OS is a fixed $100.

Build a spreadsheet.

That helps, thanks! I'm good for OS as well, and if I take the PSU out of the equation it might all be doable!