need help with a new motherboard since they have really confusing names and prices.

Jan 8, 2019
right now I have a Gigabyte b150m-d2v ddr3-cf which is the dumbest name ever made by a human brain. to this day I don't understand why motherboards don't have sane names like a video card with added versions (for real can someone explain this crap to me? I bet the people working at the company can't remember these weird names)

my Motherboard has a few broken USB ports and is kinda old, so since I will probably buy an i7 soon I thought it might be a good idea to replace it. the only new feature I really want is a Wifi so I can connected my phone while on the bed in my room. because the modem is downstairs and I never get a high signal (internet works just not as fast as I would like).

since this is a gaming computer (I upgrade it every few years, now I have the money to replace the main parts again, which I suppose will make it into a new computer technically) I never really know how the motherboard will help my gaming experience. people say it might lower a few fps, but I got a gtx 1060 which makes everything ultra on 1080p (until I decide to buy a 4k screen, maybe... one day, never really got into the 4k, always looked the same to me)

sorry for the long post, basically I need a very cheap motherboard that will be good for current gaming (no 4k) with a wifi installed. if you have any other ideas for something other than wifi that could help improve my experience I would love to hear about it.

thanks in advance!

15 years ago you may have seen performance vary from board to board, now you don't (except when they apply a sneaky OC without you asking for it).

So you are looking for features, numbers of PCI-E slots, form factor^, whether it is overclockable, fan control, power phases and heatsinks for VRMs (all will work, some will give you higher stable OC's, 70% marketing 30% benefit in my opinion), SATA, M.2, U.2 ports etc etc.

1. identifiers for motherboard are not "stupid" they are "poorly engineered", :D , we just learn to live with them.
2. your motherboard can supposed the following CPU's http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-B150M-D2V_DDR3(rev._1.0).html
3. you mentioned I7, if you could identify if your where going to waste cash on a 6700 or 7700 because for the money you could just get a I7-8700/K and motherboard for the same price, yes it means you will need to upgrade to DDR4 memory as your board seemingly is one of the rare beasts using DDR3.

I suggest moving forward instead of sitting on old tech. such as this;

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360 AORUS Gaming 3 WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($125.06 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $515.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-10 07:40 EST-0500

But if your set on keeping your current cpu (which needs to be defined now) and older slower DDR3 ram then I can only suggest Ebay to find a replacement of identical motherboard as they do not make (to my knowledge and research) any 6xxx and 7xxx series cpu motherboards with DDR3 ram.

The used to, but it was DDR3L ram, very early days of the 6 series, probably rare now.

Jan 8, 2019

does it even matter? last I checked the company/factory works the same with video cards, some cost more for no other reason than a known name tag on the device.

Jan 8, 2019

OC a motherboard, well this sounds stupid, didn't think it works like that with anything other than video cards. to many choices sounds as bad as to few, effect prices in a negative way if you ask me, to a point where you have no idea wtf is going on inside and if the price is fair.

fan control I can get with a random program no? the rest I don't really understand. not like the motherboard will melt in a year because I got a cheaper one. also since they don't really effect gaming, what does it even matter? they job is to supply access and power to all the other parts, or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about here.

Jan 8, 2019

could you explain how ram can work faster? it sounds weird to me. ram is the memory my computer uses to work crap out, the more you have the better (tho you can reach a point where you have to much, like 16 giga ram now days unless you have some massive ram eater programs) so what will ddr4 do to my gaming and overall computer that ddr3 can't?

also, why would I need anything higher than i7 7700k? I remember this was like the best cpu ever, and now we reached i9 (apparently), but what's the point? it's like DX12, I'm a gamer, I don't remember a single video game actually using DX12 fully.

Jan 8, 2019

ye I'm sure I can learn it all in 12 hours instead of actually learning something I'm gonna use daily.

that would be like me learning what video cards are made of and how to build one, instead of just knowing what Vram is and the different versions of them while knowing how they effect game fps (which is all a gamer really needs if we are honest here)

so... my current motherboard with i5 6400 runs games on ultra with a perfect 60 fps on 1080p. now let's assume just for the sake of argument that I want to get an i7 for future 4k gaming.

how does newer motherboards effect gaming, in terms of fps that is (since SSD will probably effect loading times) all those parameters to me are like 1080 ti vs rtx video cards, or even DX 12, it's useless if you're not gonna use it to it's potential which is how computer parts are marketed now days despite not needing them. no gamer needs an i9, I don't care what you are playing, this isn't an attitude it's simple logic.

so what I need right now is the cheapest motherboard that can give me that 4k with an... I don't know, I assume they don't sell i7 7700 anymore because I was at the store the other day and the seller laughed at my face (gotta love Mike, he has the best sense of humor)

you want me to check out "mATX, ATX, Mini ITX etc" instead of giving me a simple quick answer. as you have probably noticed by now, most people who use this forum aren't all "Tech experts". this would be like me entering the store and Mike telling me "I won't recommend anything because you never bothered to learn how motherboards work" XD

you're here to help, if you don't want to help that's fine by me. all I wanted was for you to use your knowledge and give me an answer according to what I want my motherboard to do...

p.s.

since you're already here, how does DDR4 effect gaming when looking at the older DDR3? I understand that the newer motherboards won't be able to use DDR3 but that's not an answer. I actually want to know how does DDR4 effects my gaming experience an overall computer performance.

I'm a volunteer, everyone here is, people can and will walk away, there's a saying teach a man to fish... Etc etc.

Atx vs matx etc. I don't know what your case can hold.
Ddr4, faster is just well faster, also all new platforms are ddr4, so you can't even do a comparison to ddr3.

Jan 8, 2019

I understand this, tho point stands, what actually is faster? will folders open faster on my SSD? will games have 2-3 more fps? apparently no one can explain this to me because I couldn't find an answer on reddit. I did find one article that insisted that in terms of gaming DDR4 was a scam XD that the difference was so low it forced everyone to get it despite not wanting to pay extra to switch to a newer ram.

speaking of my case I will need to replace it, maybe it's time to get those shiny water cooling glow in the dark setups :/ so the size of the motherboard (if that's what you're implying since I had no idea what Atx vs matx means - mini atx? atx is a form of a motherboard or a type?) could be anything you advice me with.

link500x

Commendable
Feb 10, 2019
RAM has little effect on fps. that being said, looking at the specs, a 3200 MHz set of RAM has about the same default latency, on both DDR3 and 4, from one supplier I just checked. That means they are effectively the same speed. DDR4 uses lower voltages. The power requirements are the main reason memory standards change (DDR3 vs DDR4).

Jan 8, 2019

so people were right when they said it's a scam, almost same shit but higher price XD

Jan 8, 2019

why would anyone care about lower voltages with the current computer parts? everything is becoming better and stronger. if they are basically the same in terms effect, you will save more money by keeping your ddr3.

again... sounds like a scam to me, an improved version that does very little better but costs much more (basically phones, cars and everything else)

Smaller modes need lower voltages, higher voltages break down the insulation. Anyway it's a done deal, ddr4 or don't buy anything newer than 2-3yrs old.

You can believe all the conspiracies that you want, doesn't make them right.

Jan 8, 2019

I don't have a choice either way, found out very fast how most parts I wanted last year are no longer made. I mean they stopped making 1080 ti which is insane, I could buy gtx 1060 but not 1080 ti? which is the best video card ever made for gaming (no one needs rtx cards, it's like i9, there is no point to them with the current games we have unless you run very bad optimized games on 4k)

so what motherboard would you recommend to a non believer? what role does size play in all of this?

well I am sorry I can no longer help you further than what I stated.

If you are trying to learn what computer components do, how they interact, why voltages and how voltages changes and why one would possibly make changes to voltage and all the other intricacies of hardware in general I suggest you pause, and teach yourself some concrete information, as what I read for the number of posts is a lot of attitude, a lot of "well my 12 years old friend told me" and many variants of "trolling".

so I am out on the topic, grab a magazine or book on computers and learn something.

Lastly and I suggest when wanting someone to help you, to be humble, and ask questions not make statements, it makes you look arrogant and foolish.