[SOLVED] Need help with a New SSD and Windows 10

Parker Le Nerd

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
Hey everyone, I recently got a new m.2 SSD to use in my PC. I wanted to transfer my copy of windows to the SSD so I made a Windows System Image and went to install windows using the installation media and the image recovery. but after running into some problems I think I have screwed myself over.
When I went and tried to use the system image recovery but it said it could not recover from the image due to a bios compatibility error (even tho I made it on the same PC 1 day ago), so I look it up and go and change the drive to GTP, after that, it still doesn't work so I then just do a clean windows install on the drive and it works. I then go in to try to recover from the system image and it still fails due to bios compatibility errors but at this point, I have already put windows on the drive and have no way to clear it, or to change it off of GTP and I am kinda panic as I have no clue what to do.

So basically,
1: How do I wipe my drive SSD and get it back to where it had nothing on it? (I have the old windows install still so I am using that for now but I am unable to wipe the drive from disk manager)
2: How do I put the restore the system image onto the SSD?

I am kinda freaking out that I just screwed up and am unable to fix this so help is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Solution
Hey everyone, I recently got a new m.2 SSD to use in my PC. I wanted to transfer my copy of windows to the SSD so I made a Windows System Image and went to install windows using the installation media and the image recovery. but after running into some problems I think I have screwed myself over.
When I went and tried to use the system image recovery but it said it could not recover from the image due to a bios compatibility error (even tho I made it on the same PC 1 day ago), so I look it up and go and change the drive to GTP, after that, it still doesn't work so I then just do a clean windows install on the drive and it works. I then go in to try to recover from the system image and it still fails due to bios compatibility errors...

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
When I went and tried to use the system image recovery but it said it could not recover from the image due to a bios compatibility error (even tho I made it on the same PC 1 day ago), so I look it up and go and change the drive to GTP, after that, it still doesn't work so I then just do a clean windows install on the drive and it works. I then go in to try to recover from the system image and it still fails due to bios compatibility errors but at this point, I have already put windows on the drive and have no way to clear it, or to change it off of GTP and I am kinda panic as I have no clue what to do.

So basically,
1: How do I wipe my drive SSD and get it back to where it had nothing on it? (I have the old windows install still so I am using that for now but I am unable to wipe the drive from disk manager)
2: How do I put the restore the system image onto the SSD?

I am kinda freaking out that I just screwed up and am unable to fix this so help is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

1- If you want to fully remove the SSD and you are sure you have everything backed up and if this SSD gets wiped or removed you lose nothing important, then you can try booting the system using a Ubuntu live disk image which you can download from Ubuntu website, and then you can use the disks tool to either remove and reformat the disk entirely and or use the 'dd' command to fully zero out your SSD like it just came out of the factory.
2- How big is your Windows C drive? How big is your HDD? and how big is your SSD? (big as in how many GBs or TBs)

Solution