[SOLVED] Need help with a new ventilator for my PC (URGENT)

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
Hey. So basically, I want to buy another ventilator for the back of my case. I only have two right now, that are in the front of the case. My question is, are all ventilators similiar with how it's supposed to be installed? Because the slot for the ventilator in my case looks different to what the ventilators I'm looking at look like. Let me give you a picture.

So this is the slot in my case for the ventilator

https://www.upload.ee/image/12698572/cool.jpg

And this is the ventilator I want.

https://www.upload.ee/image/12698573/cools.jpg

Solution
Don't worry about the holes in your case beside the mounting area grille. They are slots, rather than round holes. That is ONLY to allow for some variability in the locations of the actual bolt holes in the FAN that you buy. There won't be a problem if you get a 120mm fan.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
You need to make sure that the rear fan mount inside the case supports the size of the fan/ventilator you want.
It looks like both are 120mm but please look up the specs of the case and verify the size.
I didn't quite mean that. I meant that the socket type looks different. Like, the place where I need to install the ventilator, the four sockets look different than the one that the ventilator has.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
There seems to be many variations of the Polar light and they all had rear 120mm fan support so you will be fine with your chosen fan as long as you understand that you cannot change the fan led colors at all.
So the only requirement for the fan selection is the millimeters? Like, there isn't anything like different sockets for the fan and stuff like that? I'm talking about these four slots that you use to hold the fan in the case? Let me take a picture for you really quickly.

https://www.upload.ee/image/12698996/133762962_383978719372416_7446956168688297423_n.jpg

I'm talking about these. There's 4 of them. Are they gonna be alright? Because the ones that the fan has look different. That's what I'm afarid of.

popatim

Titan
You can plug it in either to a molex or to a motherbd fan header.
If you plug it into a motherbd header then the LED's may go out if the fan speed drops too low since voltage is how the speed is controlled. If it bothers you then you can adjust the minimum speed in your bios's fan control section (usually).

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Don't worry about the holes in your case beside the mounting area grille. They are slots, rather than round holes. That is ONLY to allow for some variability in the locations of the actual bolt holes in the FAN that you buy. There won't be a problem if you get a 120mm fan.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The fan should come with some really short and fat screws that have a very course thread. My advice is before trying to install the ventilator, use one of those screws and 'cut' a thread into the backside holes of the fan. It's what they are designed to do.

Once the fan has newly made threads in the back holes, then mount the ventilator, you'll use those same 4 screws from outside the case, but now will be far easier if you line up the threads and don't cross-thread them.

It will take a little muscle to cut the threads, just warning, it's not downwards pressure but turning the screw that's hard.

Reactions: Paperdoc