[SOLVED] Need help with a sensibly priced gaming chair

Mar 11, 2021
Hey guys, the title says it all really. I'm looking for recommendations for a chair. ..

So, i'm a pretty wide set guy and have been having trouble finding a suitable chair that is a decent price (max £200), decent quality (would want it to last at least a few years), and most importantly of all, adjustable.

As i said, i'm a fairly big guy and weight ~21st, so finding a sturdy but comfortable chair is most important.

Pre-covid my chair would only be for gaming after work and weekends, but i've been working from home since March and my back is in agony!

Much appreciated!
George

Solution
I don't know what distinguishes a "gaming" chair from an office chair.
Mostly marketing, I think.
Office chairs way better than gaming chairs. Gamers Nexus looked into it, many of the Gaming chairs only cost $45 each to make, and are not as comfortable as chairs designed to be sat in 8 hours a day.

that Corsair T1 chair looks familiar, its in this video and many more exactly like it.

Gaming chairs are a scam. Sell $45 chair with name of X company emblazoned on it, for up to $500 in some cases, they all look the same too as they all use same chairs.
Gaming anything is normally over priced. Its not always the case though, there are some good gaming products - looks at his monitor.

Stick with normal chairs...

If you can, go to a local shop and try out some chairs.

I was in the market for a replacement chair.
The one I had was falling apart.
My weight kept collapsing the lift adjustment.
I am 6"3" and about 220 Lbs.
I went to the local office stores to try out chairs and found nothing that I felt really good about.
Looking on Amazon, I came across this ZURI chair:
https://www.amazon.com/Ergonomic-St...inum/dp/B015T21RI2?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
The reviews were very good but the price was daunting.
Still since they had a return option, I took a chance and ordered it.
I was very pleased. The chair exudes quality. It has real leather, not the "faux " so called leather on common chairs.
The seats are firm and the back support is outstanding.
If you have this available to you where you are, consider it.
The price will hurt for a little while, but that is a small price to pay for long term comfort and quality.

Reactions: Krotow
Mar 11, 2021

If you can, go to a local shop and try out some chairs.

I was in the market for a replacement chair.
The one I had was falling apart.
My weight kept collapsing the lift adjustment.
I am 6"3" and about 220 Lbs.
I went to the local office stores to try out chairs and found nothing that I felt really good about.
Looking on Amazon, I came across this ZURI chair:
https://www.amazon.com/Ergonomic-St...inum/dp/B015T21RI2?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
The reviews were very good but the price was daunting.
Still since they had a return option, I took a chance and ordered it.
I was very pleased. The chair exudes quality. It has real leather, not the "faux " so called leather on common chairs.
The seats are firm and the back support is outstanding.
If you have this available to you where you are, consider it.
The price will hurt for a little while, but that is a small price to pay for long term comfort and quality.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me Geofelt. Unfortunately here in the UK all the office stores are shut due to lockdown, and i haven't been able to get myself into one over this time :( Really this would be my #1 option, hence why i thought asking for recommendations may be the next best thing :p

The link you sent doesn't work for me unfortunately - i have a horrible feeling Zuri don't sell on Amazon UK.

I think i've found the product you were talking about though. Was it around the range of $530? If so then that is quite a daunting price tag indeed.

I think i may have to re-evaluate my allocated budget at this point. My main options so far have been these:
  1. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ergonomic-...le-Armrests/dp/B081HX9SRM/ref=sxin_11_trfob_1
  2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hbada-Ergonomic-Office-Chair-Adjustable/dp/B07R1Q1MWQ/ref=sr_1_14
  3. https://www.onbuy.com/gb/fullwatt-r...leather-video-game-chair-e-s~c8410~p28541265/
  4. https://www.onbuy.com/gb/corsair-t1-race-gaming-chair-black-black~c8410~p10355443/

I do like the look of the Corsair T1 (and T2, but that's much more expensive), but i'm worried that the bolster on the back may be uncomfortable due to my size. Plus, it's a bit out of price range...
#3 i'm worried about the quality long term, but the first two i'm worried about how the mesh will wear.

This is such a minefield and i can't wait for lockdown to be over to visit some shops!

Thanks again,
George

Colif

Win 11 Master
Office chairs way better than gaming chairs. Gamers Nexus looked into it, many of the Gaming chairs only cost $45 each to make, and are not as comfortable as chairs designed to be sat in 8 hours a day.

that Corsair T1 chair looks familiar, its in this video and many more exactly like it.

Gaming chairs are a scam. Sell $45 chair with name of X company emblazoned on it, for up to $500 in some cases, they all look the same too as they all use same chairs.
Gaming anything is normally over priced. Its not always the case though, there are some good gaming products - looks at his monitor.

Stick with normal chairs, they will still be comfortable in a year.

Solution
If you can't try out a chair in person, buy one that you can return.
Looking at the links, I did not see anything about returns.

Since you are a hefty person,(21st or 294lbs) pay attention to the weight that a chair can support.
If there is no such spec, avoid the chair.
The lift tube may not be strong enough to support your weight.
#1 has no weight spec. The lift tube looks thin.
#2,3 is 330lbs perhaps ok
#4 is 120kg or 265lbs. no go.
These chairs are all made in China and will use the exact same mechanical components.

Look for an executive office chair.
I don't know that I would buy a mesh chair.
It would likely wear well, but I wonder about comfort.
A firm padding is likely best, but no way to tell about that.

Whatever, order from a place with a good return policy.
Expect to pay for return shipping which will not be cheap.
Still, it is better to get it right.

Mar 11, 2021
Thanks for your help all!

I ended up going with an Ikea Markus chair. It was an oddball but i tried a family friends one and was sold instantly. It held my weight, was comfortable and sturdy. Quality is very good too despite the seat being faux leather. It cost around £180 which was within budget.

The back is mesh and this was initially a concern of mine in terms of durability but its very breathable and worth it for that alone - especially with summer coming up.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Reactions: Colif
Mar 11, 2021
Good office chairs with armrests indeed are better. Gaming chairs are marketing gimmick for selfie addicts.

Exactly, i am very reliant on my arms resting on something, and find that the chair holding me in is much more comfortable. I guess its completely down to personal preference though.

The Ikea Markus has honestly been great for the price.