need help with a system im putting together

darkstar19

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003
k so after years of buying computers from specialty places like gamepc or alienware i decided to save money and build my own. installed everything properly and powered it on. all the fans run fine, all the hard drives spin and the mobo lights come on. however, nothing pops on teh screen. no bios, no black screen, nothing. i hear no beeps coming from the inboard speakers either. ive tried this below combo (all brand new parts from new egg) with different cases and even by powering it up outside the case with just the ram, mobo, chip and video card (both the agp one below and an old pci one)just in case it might be a grounding problem. still no luck. before i RMA i figured i might ask for some help here. if i do RMA should i just RMA all 3? i know the video card works fine, but there is no way for me to test the mobo, processor or RAM seperately from one another. thanks

CASE EMAX|10B M ATX CS-58661-PW
MB NFORCE2 A7N8X-UAY 400Mhz ASUS
CPU AMD|2800/333 ATHLON XP BARTON R
DDRAM 512MB PC-3200 GL5123200B-G %
NVIDIA GEFORCE 4600

darkstar19

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003
what do you mean by hsf? i installed the processor twice to make sure. ive never done it before, but it seemed like an easy enough process. only question that id have about it is that i didnt know if the processor snapped into the pin slots. seemed like they just rested on them and the heat sink keeps in secure.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
If you can test the cpu in another machine that can take the 2800, or test an older AMD cpu in your sys, with a smaller buss.

When you just have ram are there any beeps? what about with just only the cpu no beeps? Flash the cmos.

I would suggest if your going to wait for the RMA to RMA all the products you bought. Maybe not the case and P/S if you know they work fine shipping will kill you. If your going to wait, you may as well wait for all of it,

Good Luck

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller. I append: No longer interested in speed, just the mere idea that everything should perform at its full potential.

darkstar19

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003
i have my old amd 1.1 athlon that i could use? i just figured it wouldnt work in the mobo. i didnt try the mobo without the processor and just the ram, will it beep to let me know it works?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Yes most cpu's will beep when either or is missing but not always when theyre bad. Your 1.1 should work in your socket A mobo. I have a KT333 ultra black and my spare 1.3 duron works well its it. But if your sure that its the chip/ mobo to take the guess work out rma it. And when you try again, be very sure you ground yourself out as well as the case. I know some people who go as far to pull the cmos batter and stand on static matts when they assemble. So be careful.

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller. I append: No longer interested in speed, just the mere idea that everything should perform at its full potential.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Before you get all worked up, and stuck with weekend, then the 4th of july holiday next week (shipping) just RMA. Youll feel better about everything and you know you have a fresh start. Then you can start posing on the O/C boards

CaveInfiltrator

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
hey making me nervous asking if the CPU pops in place. you pull up the arm and it FALLS into place and then you puch the are back down. ;o) just a note. i dont doubt you know this but it just made me cringe when you said snap. lol but hey are there any beep codes on an asus mobo (award) for no CPU? i think not, there is the long beep 3 short for video and then i think a long for memory or "everythign else" so who knows. im just running my mouth. lol...
peace.

OSI, ISO, ITU-T, IETF, IEEE, WEP, 802.1X IPSec, ISAKMP, ATM, FR, 802.3, X.25, 802.11, 802.5, MPLS, RIP, OSPF...
Welcome to the acronym industry.

qbert

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
your machine may not be recognizing your memory- this just happenned to me today with a system I built- sis 648 system- anyway luckily i built two of these systems because I just switched the memory between the two and everything was fine. It had the same symptoms- no beeps, no post, just a black screen- try changing your memory.