Question Need help with addressing the problem

DavidUSSR

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
So basically about a year ago I bought I5-9600K and Asus Z390-H and I didn't notice that the corner of the CPU is bent and I cannot RMA it as the store will put the blame on me (I bought the CPU as Tray and got it in transparent Intel CPU sort of shell).

So my problem is that for a year the PC worked fine without any issues but for the last week or so, the PC won't boot and sometimes even turn on when external GPU is installed. I tried my own GPU in different slots and also borrowed GT630 from a friend and got the same result. I must say that when the PC does turn on with GPU he has VGA Q-Led and Boot Q-Led at the same time and it stays like that until I restart the PC and then I get the same result.

Please help.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What parts? If it does turn on can you try the next,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons
For psu =maker+model+wattage. Need to look for this in the pc if you don't know which one.

DavidUSSR

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
What parts? If it does turn on can you try the next,

For psu =maker+model+wattage. Need to look for this in the pc if you don't know which one.
I got new PSU, I bought it few days ago. it won't turn on with both the new and the old PSU. The PC will turn on only without external GPU as I wrote.
Anyway, if you still want the specs then here it is -
CPU: I5-9600K
MB: Asus ROG Z390-H
Ram: HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2933Mhz
PSU: Antec HCG-650G (old one was Huntkey 550W but I dont remember the exact model)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can you show a picture of the dent in the cpu? The die is usually under the center so if really at the corner could it be just fine.

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Could still get in contact with Intel support and explain the predicament you're in and see if they will rma cpu.

DavidUSSR

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Can you show a picture of the dent in the cpu? The die is usually under the center so if really at the corner could it be just fine.

Could still get in contact with Intel support and explain the predicament you're in and see if they will rma cpu.
Is there any site that I could upload to the image there and share the link with you ?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like it comes really close to the contacs and with traces running through the pcb might it be getting in problems. Also see that some contacts are scratched more than others, on ethat one corner you worry about and some other spots. Are the pins in the socket not bent?

Might be wise to contact Intel for this and see what they have to say about it. Show them those pics as well.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support.html (support community)
or rma
https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo?lang=en-US

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Red circled spots,

eAg3PaG.png

seem more scratched than others, maybe bent pins?

Left top shows that you bent in cpu comes close to the contacts which may give problems with traces running through pcb (green plate). Best would be to have Intel have a look at these pictures.

DavidUSSR

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Red circled spots,

eAg3PaG.png

seem more scratched than others, maybe bent pins?

Left top shows that you bent in cpu comes close to the contacts which may give problems with traces running through pcb (green plate). Best would be to have Intel have a look at these pictures.
umm.... the pins on the motherboard looks fine, I checked several times...

DavidUSSR

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Okay just wanted to make sure. Try Intel for rma or support forum. Still not sure that it is a cpu problem since the VGA led is lit, but is best guess although after a year of usage i don't see why it would crap out now.

System works on integrated gpu? Read first post again.
Worked before I took out the CPU to take pictures for you.
Edit: It worked before I took out the CPU to take pictures for you. but now it VGA led and boot led lit even on iGPU
Edit 2: took out cmos battery and put it back and now it turns on but still won't turn on with external GPU

Last edited: