[SOLVED] Need help with airflow on my PC

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
So I'm not really have any idea about "good airflow system" yet...I buy a prebuilt PC, there are 2 fan right now, 1 at bottom that blow the air to the PSU side...1 more at top left that blow air to the CPU side...I can add another fans in the top case that will blow air to the bottom and I can another fan above the fan that blow air to the PSU

Should I use 4 fans?

Here is my PC case image View: https://imgur.com/gallery/u9Jkj2e

Solution
What you want is to have fresh air come in the front and flow out the back taking component heat with it.
Dangle a tissue in front of a van to verify which direction the air is flowing.
Normally the fan in front is an air intake fan. Two front intakes is better if you can manage it.
The fan at the rear should be an exhaust fan sending heat out of the case.

Your cooler looks to be the stock intel cooler, and I think it is doing the job up to a point.

The fan on the power supply unit is only for cooling the psu. It should not be counted on for any case cooling.
75-80 is ok for your processor while gaming.
The processor will monitor it's own temperatures and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperaure.
That is...
Feb 19, 2020
Although that is the cheapest thing I have ever seen. Based on the photo, it appears your fans are in a push/pull configuration, as they should be. I don't see any specific problems. except, maybe all of it in terms of style. But from what I can see it should be a working PC. I'd use 4 fans just to protect that RTX, but it would be better protected by being removed from the rest those components. You don't "need" 4 fans per-se unless you have reason to believe it isn't cooling effectively like high temp readings or something.

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
Although that is the cheapest thing I have ever seen. Based on the photo, it appears your fans are in a push/pull configuration, as they should be. I don't see any specific problems. except, maybe all of it in terms of style. But from what I can see it should be a working PC. I'd use 4 fans just to protect that RTX, but it would be better protected by being removed from the rest those components. You don't "need" 4 fans per-se unless you have reason to believe it isn't cooling effectively like high temp readings or something.

My CPU and GPU temp is around 75 - 85 celcius while gaming...does adding more fan will help to cool it down?

Feb 19, 2020
It could, but not too likely, Out of curiosity what are your specs? It's probably an intel build guessing by the RTX in there. Both of which run hot, and while 75-80 is hot for most components, it's pretty median for the newer intel stuff, AMD has done a great job putting intel in its place recently.

However, those temps still sound high for an open case desktop with that much ariflow. I would see about adding/replacing the fans to get more flow, replace that awful stock intel CPU cooler. And most importantly, as this looks like a cheap prebuilt, I would disassemble and repaste the CPU for sure, and probably the GPU too, just to be safe. Also make sure it isn't Overclocked, because that would be bad for a PC of this caliber.

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
It could, but not too likely, Out of curiosity what are your specs? It's probably an intel build guessing by the RTX in there. Both of which run hot, and while 75-80 is hot for most components, it's pretty median for the newer intel stuff, AMD has done a great job putting intel in its place recently.

However, those temps still sound high for an open case desktop with that much ariflow. I would see about adding/replacing the fans to get more flow, replace that awful stock intel CPU cooler. And most importantly, as this looks like a cheap prebuilt, I would disassemble and repaste the CPU for sure, and probably the GPU too, just to be safe. Also make sure it isn't Overclocked, because that would be bad for a PC of this caliber.

CPU : Intel Core i7-7700 3.6Ghz - Cache 8MB
GPU : GALAX Geforce RTX 2060 6GB DDR6
Motherboard : MSI B250M Gaming Pro (LGA1151, B250, DDR4)
RAM : GEIL DDR4 EVO X RGB LED PC19200 Dual Channel 16GB
HDD : WDC 4TB SATA3 64MB - Blue
PSU : Seasonic Focus Gold GX-550/FX-550 - 550W Full Modular

Btw does CPU Cooler can be used on any CPU? Like if I buy now for Intel CPU, can it be used again when I change to AMD CPU?

What you want is to have fresh air come in the front and flow out the back taking component heat with it.
Normally the fan in front is an air intake fan. Two front intakes is better if you can manage it.

Your cooler looks to be the stock intel cooler, and I think it is doing the job up to a point.

The fan on the power supply unit is only for cooling the psu. It should not be counted on for any case cooling.
The processor will monitor it's own temperatures and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperaure.
That is around 100c.

The intel cooler you now have is not very good.
Most any replacement will come with hardware for both intel and amd motherboards.

A top end cooler for your current system like a noctua NH-D15s will fit any intel motherboard.
The fit to check with any air cooler is the height available, usually 160mm.
The i7-7700 is about the strongest processor you can use on your current motherboard.
While it is a bit old, it is still very good . I would not expect any magical difference if you upgraded motherboard and cpu.

Solution

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020

That is around 100c.

The intel cooler you now have is not very good.
Most any replacement will come with hardware for both intel and amd motherboards.

A top end cooler for your current system like a noctua NH-D15s will fit any intel motherboard.
The fit to check with any air cooler is the height available, usually 160mm.
The i7-7700 is about the strongest processor you can use on your current motherboard.
While it is a bit old, it is still very good . I would not expect any magical difference if you upgraded motherboard and cpu.

Can that CPU cooler be used on AMD CPU? I check that cooler price and its a bit expensive for a cooler and Im planning to chaneg to AMD CPU in a year or two

your rear fan is blowing out of the back, like it should. i would add another in the top above it blowing out of the top.
i can't see the orientation of your lower front fan, it needs to be sucking air into the case. i would also add another in the slot just above it, also sucking air into the case.
this will be sufficient airflow through this case.
if going for 140mm fans make sure your case can fit them first,
fan shopping list = 120/140mm.

that CPU & GPU should be fine for regular gaming needs and any type of regular computing. as long as you aren't gong for 75+FPS at >=2K resolution you should be fine for a while.
but i would definitely get a decent CPU cooler for it,
CPU shopping list = air coolers.
any of these will be sufficient. again, make sure your case will fit them before purchasing. measure your available space or check the case's manufacturer product page or user manual and compare with the particular cooler's size specs.

what case is that? it looks like an older Corsair, but cannot tell from the image. can you add one of the front?

Last edited: